[comp.sys.handhelds] Yet more on HP connectors

creiman@headroom.ncsa.uiuc.EDU (Chuck Reiman) (02/13/91)

>From: U46837@UICVM.uic.edu
>Subject: CONNECTORS
>
>To Franklin Wang and others troubled with connectors, get a DIGI-KEY
>catalog.  Just dial 1-800-DIG-IKEY and ask for one.  They supply all
>kinds of connectors including a "4-conductor, single row inline with
>0.1" on center distance between pins" model, just what you would need
>on the HP48 end of the wire I/O cable.  I don't have the specific part
>number on me, but I will order the part and report on it's successfulness
>in use.  DIGI-KEY also stocks RS-232 & many other connectors, chips,
>components, and tons of other stuff.
>                                       EUG <u46837@uicvm>

No! Wait! The HP48 is .079" center to center (2mm). .1" will not
work!  DuPont sell .079" center connectors, but not in 4 pin size.
I have been totally washed out trying to find a supplier who
will sell a small quantity (read 1) of these connectors. HP
knew exactly what they were doing when they chose that connector.
Sneaky, sneaky...

Charlie Reiman
creiman@ncsa.uiuc.edu

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (02/13/91)

Maybe the elusive connecters could be found in a Newark catalog.  I will
have to check sometime later today in the EE lounge.

Eric Graeler
egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) (02/14/91)

In article <7446@uceng.UC.EDU> egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) writes:

>Maybe the elusive connecters could be found in a Newark catalog.  I will
>have to check sometime later today in the EE lounge.
>
>Eric Graeler
>egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

Nope.  Dead wrong.  Wishful thinking.

If you tell the friendly folks at Newark you want to buy 1,000, they might be able to accomodate you -- they are DuPont
distributors.  However, they certainly don't STOCK the metric DuPont connectors, so you're not going to be able to
call them up and get just a couple...

								---Joel Kolstad