[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 48SX Replacement Policy

rudd@calvin.Stanford.EDU (02/08/91)

Just a quick note on how they are doing.

It took 7 days door to door (first class to, ups from)
to get my Rev. A upgraded to a Rev. E calculator.  They
must have gotten it on Monday and mailed it back on Tuesday.
24 hour servicing is pretty amazing!

Included was a note which certified a new one year
warranty beginning March 1991.  Quite a pleasent surprise!

HP may have started off on the wrong foot with the SX but
certainly is not doing a half-way job now that they decided
to correct the situation.

Now if only it came with a better way to update the ROM...

  -- Kevin
--
  -- Kevin
     kevin@kilohoku

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb8.031945.26342@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rudd@calvin.Stanford.EDU writes:
>Just a quick note on how they are doing.
>must have gotten it on Monday and mailed it back on Tuesday.
>24 hour servicing is pretty amazing!
Well hell.. I sent mine in on Friday and they said that before that they could
Fed Ex it to me if I Fed Exed it to them.  In that case, I should have
gotten it Tues, Wed or (since it is now Friday) Thursday.  I can't afford to
replace the calc if it disappeared.. Looks like it is time to call.

>Included was a note which certified a new one year
>warranty beginning March 1991.  Quite a pleasent surprise!
This is impressive but sort of makes sense, considering that it is really
a new machine.  A nice surprise indead.

	ian

--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

rhelps@yoda.byu.edu (02/11/91)

Me too.  Just as I was bracing myself for another week of withdrawl symtoms,
My replacement arrived.  Quick, switch it on - ON/D, BKSP, EVAL
"Version E" - Beautiful.  Complete with a brand-new set of batteries and
the clock showing the correct (PST) time.  7 days door to door.  HP had
no obligation to do this but it is the customer care attitude that will
ensure that the 48 is not my last HP.  Actually I have had 8 models over the
years and was only disappointed with the 28C.  I loved all the others and
learned a lot of maths from them, especially the interesting examples in
the handbooks.

Thanks HP.

Richard Helps.
BYU, Provo, Utah

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/12/91)

  Not to be a downer, as I do enjoy the quality and diversity of my 48,
  but I just got snubbed by HP.  I called to see about upgrading under
  warranty from D to E because of the problem with symbolic complex numbers
  entered in polar form, and dude was extremely rude about it, told me I was
  basically S.O.L. by saying "When would you use it" meaning the entry
  mentioned above.  Is that the point?  You guys are right - HP makes great
  stuff and the 48 is a milestone in handheld computers, but I've never been
  treated with such rudeness as this guy did me.  Apparently someone has told
  the support people to grill the D owners until they are sorry they called,
  not to mention even having the nerve to ask for a fix.

  Oh well, I hate to expect too much.

--
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Mark _E_ Amos         University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (02/12/91)

In article <mamos.666310458@uafhp>, mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:

>   Not to be a downer, as I do enjoy the quality and diversity of my 48,
>   but I just got snubbed by HP.  I called to see about upgrading under
>   warranty from D to E because of the problem with symbolic complex numbers
>   entered in polar form, and dude was extremely rude about it, told me I was
>   basically S.O.L. by saying "When would you use it" meaning the entry

	1) I got my upgrade by going back to the place I originally bought
	it and exchanged it.  I had to try a couple different locations of
	the store to find one though.  I simply called the stores and had
	them doing the test to see which ROM version it is.  When I found
	on I had them set it aside.  The store was Service Merchandise.

	2) Be forceful with HP.  You are the customer and the customer is
	always right.  They should be out there to please you.  I might have
	been smart if HP had put the ROM on an EEPROM.  Although maybe they
	can't make EEPROM with that much memory small enough yet.

	3) Tell HP you are an electrical engineer or EE student.  To enter
	phasors as sybolics you would definately need this.

Eric Graeler
egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (* Tim Strong) (02/13/91)

>  Not to be a downer, as I do enjoy the quality and diversity of my 48,
>  but I just got snubbed by HP.  I called to see about upgrading under
>  warranty from D to E because of the problem with symbolic complex numbers
>  entered in polar form, and dude was extremely rude about it, told me I was
>  basically S.O.L. by saying "When would you use it" meaning the entry
>  mentioned above.  Is that the point?  You guys are right - HP makes great
>  stuff and the 48 is a milestone in handheld computers, but I've never been
>  treated with such rudeness as this guy did me.  Apparently someone has told
>  the support people to grill the D owners until they are sorry they called,
>  not to mention even having the nerve to ask for a fix.

First of all lets be honest; HP has certainly been grubbed more than
enough on this net about the D to E upgrades.  I doubt that HP has
specifically told its support people to deliberately be rude.

However, I made a similar call a while back and got a similar response.
Perhaps its just one guy with a big chip on his shoulder since it
seems others have found the support staff more than helpful.  Whoever
it is he should realize that the customer is the most important item not
whatever his own opinions might be.  THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING RUDE.
When I called I simply asked if such an upgrade was available since I'd
heard of it.  I didn't even try to force the issue.  Even if I had wanted to
I wouldn't have had a chance since he instantly jumped on my butt.
Just wish I knew the guy's name, in my humble opinion he's got a lot to learn
about dealing with customers!

  ___
  :__)  _   _:  _   _   Tim Strong <tdstrong%mtus5.bitnet@cunyvm.edu>
  :  \ (_: (_: (_: :    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (02/13/91)

I think HP is trying to 'weed-out' people who just want an upgrade and
can't explain why (other than because).

        Derek S. Nickel.

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/13/91)

As a follow-up to my previous article about problems getting my D up to E, I
tried 3 times (on my phone bill) and FINALLY got them to let me talk to a
"Tech".  After grilling me about how I would use the said function, and I
answering properly with Engineering student woes and EE courses, he told me to
call Calculator Service ((503)757-2002) and tell them I needed to send it in
for "repair".  I called them (again on my dime) (dime? I wish) and got a very
nice but seemingly ignorant operator who said all I needed to do was send the
thing in with a letter explaining the problem and the name of the "tech" I
talked to, and what he diagnosed as the problem, and they would have my
calculator back in about 1 week.  I asked about a certificate because I
couldn't send it NOW but had to wait til the end of the semester and she said
"Huh? All you have to do is get it here before the warranty expires."  Which
isn't a problem for me.  Now this whole process seems too slick and easy after
the mess I had with Support, but we'll see...  I'll post the outcome.

--

taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber) (02/13/91)

In article <27b84228:2004.3comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>,
akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) writes:

|>I think HP is trying to 'weed-out' people who just want an upgrade and
|>can't explain why (other than because).

If so, then they must just be "weeding" the version D people, because
when I called I just said I heard they were upgrading A's.  There was a
heavy sigh at the other end, and after asking my serial number, he said
"We'll send you a letter with the details." which is exactly what they
did.  Kind of a shame, really, because I really did buy the '48 because
I use complex numbers and I was psyched to chat about it....

--
                                             >>>==>PStJTT
                                     Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber, KC1TD

If I was authorized to speak for my employer, I'd be too important to
waste my time on this crap....

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (02/14/91)

Tim and all who call HP:

An important rule of thumb to follow when dealing with companies over the
phone is FIRST THING to ask who you're speaking with.  When they know
that you've got their name, they almost always become polite gentlemen
and ladies.  Please remember that customer support personnel (like
appliance repair people) deal with so many idiots per day that they tend
to become skeptical about every caller's IQ.  Asking for their name right
away usually helps remind them that not everybody is brain dead.

Every person I've ever talked to as HP was always very polite... and I
                                 ^^-- (at)
can even give you the list of their names, if you'd like.

-- Joe Horn