[comp.sys.handhelds] Proposal for new subgroup

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (02/14/91)

It sounds like there is at least some interest in splitting off the HP
community into a separate group. Does anyone have any compelling reason why
this should not be done? If not, I will put together the proposal for the vote
next week (when I've recovered from Mardi Gras).

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/14/91)

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:

>It sounds like there is at least some interest in splitting off the HP
>community into a separate group. Does anyone have any compelling reason why
>this should not be done? If not, I will put together the proposal for the vote
 (references to wanton hedonism deleted :-))

 I would say a spinoff group is inevitable, the question remains as to HOW/WHAT
 kind of spinoff.  The best idea I have heard to date is the .hack someone
 mentioned (Rich, I think it was) to have a generic .handhelds for general
 discussion and the .hack as programs/bugs/technical stuff.. Then the question
 arises of what to do if other types of machines other than the HP-48 get a
 following of hacks.  Well, we could 'if' ourselves to death on this one, but
 the idea of a tech/programming spinoff appeals to me more than a strictly
 HP-48/28 group, although I am interested in the 48 (I have one) and in the
 hacking part (I do so myself) I also see Rich's point for those who have 48's
 but do not necessarily want to read the tech stuff to get the discussion.
 Further, what about the issue of later models (68SX?)....?  Would you
 believe a coupla spinoffs?  comp.sources.handhelds? comp.sources.handhelds.d?

 Jsut a suggestion, but the more I think about it the more it makes me
 cringe...  Too many ifs for me.

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Frobozz) (02/14/91)

In <6118@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:

>It sounds like there is at least some interest in splitting off the HP
>community into a separate group. Does anyone have any compelling reason why
>this should not be done? If not, I will put together the proposal for the vote
>next week (when I've recovered from Mardi Gras).

I agree that most of the bandwidth of this group is related to hp's.  But is
the remainder of the bandwidth large enough to warrant a group to itself?
[ From what I've seen, there is very little non-hp related traffic present ]

							Pauli
seeya

Paul Dale               | Internet/CSnet:            grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
Dept of Computer Science| Bitnet:       grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Uni of Qld              | JANET:           grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc
Australia, 4072         | EAN:                          grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz
f4e6g4Qh4++             | JUNET:                     grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
--

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (02/14/91)

In article <7286@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>In <6118@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:
>
>I agree that most of the bandwidth of this group is related to hp's.  But is
>the remainder of the bandwidth large enough to warrant a group to itself?
>[ From what I've seen, there is very little non-hp related traffic present ]

You're right, most of the bandwidth here is related to HP handhelds.
However, part of the reason for this is that users of other handhelds
just get tired of wading through so many HP articles, that they stop
reading the group, figuring that it just isn't worth it.

Personally, I read this group not the for HP articles, but the
occasional Sharp PC-1500/PC-1350 articles, and other basic-interpreter
handhelds, as well as info on things like the Atari Portfolio.

(BTW, if anybody has a Sharp PC-1500, Tandy PC-1/2/3, or Atari
Portfolio that they'd be interested in selling, I may be a buyer...)

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter