[comp.sys.handhelds] Update D -> E by yourself! changing the ROM by software

mheubi@.itr.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) (02/14/91)

Hi Folks.
Here comes the long awaited solution! I wondered why HP hadn't posted
anything like this.

Many of you were complaining about some bugs in the Rev. D ROM.
Since there is mainly a workaround (inverting matrices should have one
though I actually don't know it..)

So let's explain it on the command SIN.
Assume you would like to install a workaround for SIN which
shows up HELLO on the screen instead of calculating a number.

write the following program:
/<< /-> arg /<< "HELLO" 1 DISP 1 FREEZE />> />>
Now store it in a subdirectory called 'xxx' named 'SIN'.
How to do that? Simply type "SIN" #5B15h SYSEVAL STO.
Now make xxx to a library (with the toolbox posted earlier) and
attach it to your homedirectory.

-> Any subsequent usage of SIN will display HELLO instead of calculating
a number.

Note that any previously stored program using SIN will still use the
REAL sine-function. To change this simply VISIT the program end store
it back!

To change the behavior of the SIN-Key too assign 'SIN' to this key.
Now everything is complete.
Consider that any usage of SIN is now stored as an XLIB call. Removing
the library will result a program to show up as /<< arg XLIB xxxx yyyy />>

WARNING: To use any program which takes advantage of this on a different
	 calculator without the library installed, you MUST transfer it
	 in ASCII mode. hovewer if all users use the same library ID's
	 this should be no problem until you're transferring to a Rev. E.

I wonder why HP isnt spreading a RomFix-Library, since this would be
a cheap solution for people complaining about their Rev. XXX :-))

--> Now it's the turn of the '48 hackers to provide some fast (ML)
    workarounds for the various bugs.

PS. As you surely recognized, I got a 3.5 in English this term!

Disclaimer: I don't take any resposibility if you blow up
	    your calculator using this instructions. 8-)

Matthias
Matthias Heubi      / NeXT / Atari ST / HP-48SX /    mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (02/15/91)

mheubi@.itr.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) writes:
>I wonder why HP isnt spreading a RomFix-Library, since this would be
>a cheap solution for people complaining about their Rev. XXX :-))

Probably because software libraries can take up a fair bit of an
hp48sx's precious 32k.  And if the RomFix-Library was on a Rom card,
then one would only have one slot left.

I really like your idea, though.  It is a very clever solution.  One
problem with it is that if the library ever goes away (i.e. is removed
from RAM), then all references to the SIN call in the RAM
RomFix-Library will now be an unresolvable XLIB reference.  This will
be a problem until the RomFix-Library is reinstalled.  Also, if you
are transferring a program that references the RomFix-Library to
another machine, you must use ASCII mode (as was mentioned before)
*AND* the RomFix-Library *must* be installed, or else the programs
will contain the unresolved XLIB references.

As for my credentials, I was the person who ported USRLIB to the
Amiga.  I found out about the unresolved XLIB references by removing
my test software libraries and then reinstalling them.

>--> Now it's the turn of the '48 hackers to provide some fast (ML)
>    workarounds for the various bugs.

This is a great idea.  Truly a good way to provide user-supported
fixes.

One other thing: if this becomes standard practice, it will be
important to list which libraries were used when developing software.
For example, if I developed a program "MYFOO" while I had the
RomFix-D2E library installed, it would be very prudent to post that
information with the MYFOO distribution package.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     We carry in our hearts the true country,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     And that cannot be stolen.