[comp.sys.handhelds] non-HP Mailing Lists

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.132543.22353@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:
>In article <7286@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>>In <6118@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:
>>
>>I agree that most of the bandwidth of this group is related to hp's.  But is
>>the remainder of the bandwidth large enough to warrant a group to itself?
>>[ From what I've seen, there is very little non-hp related traffic present ]
>
>You're right, most of the bandwidth here is related to HP handhelds.
>However, part of the reason for this is that users of other handhelds
>just get tired of wading through so many HP articles, that they stop
>reading the group, figuring that it just isn't worth it.
>
>Personally, I read this group not the for HP articles, but the
>occasional Sharp PC-1500/PC-1350 articles, and other basic-interpreter
>handhelds, as well as info on things like the Atari Portfolio.

I too, read this group for non-HP machines, in the hopes that something
will appear.  Although I find the HP machines pretty nifty and do those
articles as well.  It would be nice if there were some easier way.  One
problem is that at least one HP user refuses to have an HP specific
newsgroup, and a newsgroup for all except HPs doesn't sound very good
either.  Then there is the problem of the handhelds mailing list and
the HP BBS that are gatewayed to this newsgroup.

Perhaps one way around this is to form mailing lists for non-HPs and
see how much interest exists.  If there is demand then a newsgroup
could be formed.  If no one else will, I'll start a mailing list.  Send
me some mail for an informal vote for a non-HP mailing list.

There is at least a Portfolio mailing list. Maybe all we need to do is
have included in the c.s.h FAQ a pointer to various handheld mailing
lists?

My own machine is a Psion Organiser II XP.  If there are any other
Psion users out there, I am starting a Psion mailing list, and already
have a substantial software archive.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony