[comp.sys.handhelds] sub-groups of comp.sys.handhelds

ryoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert W Yoder) (02/06/91)

In reviewing the postings to comp.sys.handhelds over the last few months,
it seems to me it is time to spawn off a few sub-groups.
Here are my suggestions:

The following 3 groups will be moderated, but the moderator will not
post submissions:

1. comp.sys.handhelds.what-rev-do-i-have-and-how-can-i-upgrade

   The hp policy on upgrades will be posted daily by the moderator along with
   the bug list and instructions on determining rom version.

2. comp.sys.handhelds.what-is-chip-and-where-can-i-get-asc-and-other-stuff

   The info on mail servers, ftp sites, and bbs will be posted daily by the
   moderator.

3. comp.sys.handhelds.flame-hp

   The moderator will forward submissions to dev/null.

The remaining groups will be unmoderated:

   The following are for the intensive subjects of late:

      comp.sys.handhelds.lets-beat-a-dead-horse.clear
      comp.sys.handhelds.lets-beat-a-dead-horse.kill
      comp.sys.handhelds.lets-beat-a-dead-horse.ethics-rom-extraction

   For people who like to share software they have written, and new things
   they have discovered about the handhelds:

      comp.sys.handhelds.classic

   Oh, and last, but not least, the ever popular:

      comp.sys.handhelds.unsubscribe

--
Robert Yoder  "It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where your child processes are?"
306 Hawkins Graduate House  Internet: ryoder@ecn.purdue.edu

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.154900.19100@en.ecn.purdue.edu> ryoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert W Yoder) writes:

>In reviewing the postings to comp.sys.handhelds over the last few months,
>it seems to me it is time to spawn off a few sub-groups.
>Here are my suggestions:
>
> ... a long list of humourous group names ...

You forgot one I'd really like to see:

   comp.sys.handhelds.but.not.bloody.hp

For those of us who like to read about other machines.  *NOT* that I
have anything against HP machines, BTW.  I'm sure that if I had a HP48
I'd love all the interesting things about them that appear in this
group.  Unfortunately, I know myself well enough to realise that if I
had a HP48, I'd spend hundreds of ultimately non-productive hours
fiddling with it, so I've avoided the whole notion like the plague.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

P.S. for potential flamers:  O __ \
                             O    /

--
My Uncle Percy, ..., I was told as a child, sang like a canary.  I never
actually heard him at his song, ...: and when I asked where he lived, my mother

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb7.064014.6274@marlin.jcu.edu.au> zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au
(Ross Alford) writes:
>You forgot one I'd really like to see:
>
>   comp.sys.handhelds.but.not.bloody.hp
>
>For those of us who like to read about other machines.  *NOT* that I
>have anything against HP machines, BTW.  I'm sure that if I had a HP48
>I'd love all the interesting things about them that appear in this
>group.  Unfortunately, I know myself well enough to realise that if I
>had a HP48, I'd spend hundreds of ultimately non-productive hours
>fiddling with it, so I've avoided the whole notion like the plague.

I agree. Again, nothing against HP, and I am certain that the 48 is a great
machine for the typical net news reader, but my wife is a definite non-techie,
and thus has a Sharp. The volume of non-HP postings on this group are so low
that I continually question the value of reading it at all, but I have learned
some useful things, and thus persist. I would prefer, however, not to have to
bypass the 99 HP articles to get to the one Sharp article.
Please save your flames for more important subjects,

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

mcgrant@elaine23.stanford.edu (Michael Grant) (02/07/91)

In article <6031@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:

>I agree. Again, nothing against HP, and I am certain that the 48 is a great
>machine for the typical net news reader, but my wife is a definite non-techie,
>and thus has a Sharp. The volume of non-HP postings on this group are so low
>that I continually question the value of reading it at all, but I have learned
>some useful things, and thus persist. I would prefer, however, not to have to
>bypass the 99 HP articles to get to the one Sharp article.

Hell, why don't we just get a comp.sys.hp2848 newsgroup?

Michael C. Grant
P.S. I'd start the ball rolling NOW only I don't know how.

EBERBERS%yubgef51@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (____ Zarko Berberski ____) (02/11/91)

> I agree. Again, nothing against HP, and I am certain that the 48 is a great
> machine for the typical net news reader, but my wife is a definite non-techie,
> and thus has a Sharp.

      Just a little question - what makes you thinking that HP-48
is a techie machine. There are wonderful phone-books and general
data bases for it (and they are free). Not to mention that its
unit conversion system can be used for currency exchange list.
For the past several months I'v shown my HP-48 to many pople and
only about half of them are programmers or engineers. All of
them ended up loving this little machine (especially when I
showed them Tetris :-) ). I'm not trying to bring up any
loooooong discussion about HP-48 v. all others I'm just
interested in what gave you the impression that HP-48 is
techie-only machine ?

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (02/11/91)

In article <obhRfxy00Uh-Q1wVpA@andrew.cmu.edu> dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) writes:
>machine?"
>
>The price.
>
>David
How much does the Atari Porfolio cost?
How much does the Sharp Wizard cost?
How much does the Casio BOSS cost?

In case you don't know.
Educalc
Atari Portfolio: $349.95
Sharp Wizard OZ 8000: $299.95
Casio BOSS SF-9500: $272.00

and to compare
Elek-tek
HP48sx: $249.95

Considering that the hp48sx will do many of the same NON-techie things that
the other three will do, I think the hp48sx is a pretty good deal.  Granted, I
chose the top end for the other products but I think it is a fair comparison.
Nobody is going to accuse the Sharp Wizard of being "techie-only". ;) ;)

	ian

--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

s39227n@taltta.hut.fi (Mikko Kartano) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.010047.16042@csn.org> frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>Elek-tek
>HP48sx: $249.95
>
>Considering that the hp48sx will do many of the same NON-techie things that
>the other three will do, I think the hp48sx is a pretty good deal.  Granted, I
>chose the top end for the other products but I think it is a fair comparison.
>	ian

For that price it IS a very good deal.
Here in Finland hp48sx costs 2495 FIM ~ 700 US$ !!

------- Mikko Kartano ----------/         s39227n
---- kartano@otax.hut.fi ------/          a user by any other name
--- s39227n@taltta.hut.fi ----/           just isn't the same

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.010047.16042@csn.org> frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
>How much does the Atari Porfolio cost?
>How much does the Sharp Wizard cost?
>How much does the Casio BOSS cost?
>
>Considering that the hp48sx will do many of the same NON-techie things that
>the other three will do, I think the hp48sx is a pretty good deal.  Granted, I
>chose the top end for the other products but I think it is a fair comparison.
>Nobody is going to accuse the Sharp Wizard of being "techie-only". ;) ;)

Wow, this is beginning to sound like the Atari-Amiga wars!  Let's call
it off.  After all, an earlier poster pointed out that the 48 is
basically a game machine (everyone he shows it to is amazed by tetris).

I've got a Portfolio, BOSS, and heaps of HP calculators, including both
the 48 and 28.  I don't really think they can be compared.  The
Portfolio comes with some neat built-in software, including a
spreadsheet, editor and scheduler.  The BOSS has handy data bases for
dates, addresses, etc.  The HP48SX offers many of these features to
those of us who get the extra cabling etc. to download programs, but I
think the non-techno-weenie who tries to do the same things with a 48
that the BOSS or Wizard do out of the box will end up very frustrated.
And I have to confess that this techno-weenie is having a lot of trouble
mastering the 48, as evidenced by my puzzled postings.

So sure the 48 plays tetris and stores phone numbers, but I still agree
with the poster who calls it a technically oriented machine.  It does
not replace the ones that mortals can use.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (02/12/91)

Not to detract from the scintillating discussion of whether the HP48 is a
techie machine or not, but I'd like to go back to the original discussion.
Well, not the *original* discussion (which was in jest (I think)), but the
serious discussion that came out of that.

I also think the HP48 is a marvelous machine, but I don't come to the
newsgroup to read about it (I don't have one).  I come here to read about
the Bosses, Wizards, Portfolios, Poqets, Jaguars (yeah!), and all the
interesting bits of news on stylus-based devices that are soon to come.
These topics comprise maybe 1-5% of the whole of this newsgroup, and I have
to wade through an enormous amount of HP28/48 stuff to get to it.

I thought of requesting a group split before, but didn't.

When the HP48 first came out, this otherwise semi-quiet group was flooded
with articles about it.  I figured it would slow down over time, but, in
tribute to the strengths of this machine, the traffic has gotten only
worse since then.

Also, up until fairly recently, there hasn't been a lot of discussion
outside of the HP28/48 articles, so the non-HP28/48 group would have been
too quiet to stand on its own.  This has changed with the popularity of the
Boss/Wizard/Portfolio/Poqet, and the promise of many new such devices
down the road.  I think discussion on these would increase if people
interested in these topics could find the articles more easily.

In the interests of all those non-28/48 users out there who don't want to
sift through 150 articles to find 5 of interest, I think it's time to start
a separate group just for the 28/48 machines and all their technical
discussions.

How about comp.sys.handhelds.hp2848?  Then leave the existing
comp.sys.handhelds for everything else?

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (02/12/91)

Could I throw in a quarter-baked idea here?  Maybe this group needs to be
split not by machine but by usage.  I.e., maybe split off a
comp.sys.handhelds.hacks group for people interested in internals, machine
code programming, etc.

I own a 48, and I'm certainly interested in 48 stuff, but not so interested
in the hacking side (not that I'm uninterested in hacks, but I'd rather not
melt down my own calculator :-) ).  At the same time, I'm interested in general
news about other handhelds.  A "2848" vs. "everything else" split wouldn't be
of any benefit to me.

Anyway, don't call it "comp.sys.handhelds.hp2848", or in a couple of years
when the HP68 or whatever turns up, nomenclature will become a problem.
--
 - Rich Holmes                  rich@suhep.bitnet or rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.     or if you must: rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) (02/13/91)

If we are to separate the HP calcs from others I suggest this:

comp.sys.handhelds
comp.sys.handhelds.hp-calcs (i.e. not comp.sys.handhelds.hp2848 )

This last group would then be the best place to post anything about HP
calcs, not only 28/48. There continues to pop up questions - about the
41's and other hp calcs - that would fit beter in a hp-calcs forum than
a general handhelds forum. (you're more likely to reach former 41
hackers in the hp-calcs group than handhelds group). It yould also
exclude anthing handheld HP might make which isn't a calc, like a DOS
machine (brrrrr).

Nicolai, your friendly alaround amateur (bugs made while you wait!).

Nicolai Langfeldt, Internet: janl@ifi.uio.no
Quote: Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
   (translated and retranslated)

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (02/14/91)

Might as well thrown in my two bits worth.  First of all, since almost
everybody in c.s.h, or at least almost all of the info is by and for
HP48's, then there is no reason to move the 48's into a seperate
conference.  If the people who use the other handhelds, like the Boss's,
Port's, etc. don't like all the 48 articles in the c.s.h, then they can
go and make their own conference.  However, the 48's , and actually, all
the HP's can continue to be on c..sh  However, Ricdid make a good point,
let's have a seperate conferecne for the Internals discussin of the 48.
I know that a lot of people are ot particulary interested in ML and
general Internals stuff, and it would be nice to have a seperate
conference in which people can try to rip aparat the HP (literally) and
figure out how it works.  Sorry aabout the spelling mistakes, but I am
not going to botyher and wait for this slow board to cathch up with my
typing and then bother trying to bo back and erase my mistakes.
        ---Falco

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (02/15/91)

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) writes:
>If we are to separate the HP calcs from others I suggest this:
>comp.sys.handhelds
>comp.sys.handhelds.hp-calcs (i.e. not comp.sys.handhelds.hp2848 )

Here is my suggestion for a name:

	comp.sys.handhelds	and	comp.sys.handhelds.hp

I think that the "handhelds" part negates the need for the "-calcs"
part of Mr. Langfeldt's suggestion.  Besides, the newsgroup name is
getting rather long, IMHO.

>This last group would then be the best place to post anything about HP
>calcs, not only 28/48. There continues to pop up questions - about the
>41's and other hp calcs - that would fit beter in a hp-calcs forum than
>a general handhelds forum.

Well said.

>[...]  It yould also
>exclude anthing handheld HP might make which isn't a calc, like a DOS
>machine (brrrrr).

I do not see why this is necessary yet.  If the handheld DOS machine
traffic becomes too much, then yet another newsgroup can be created.
Personally, I feel that one newsgroup for HP calculators and handhelds
is enough.

Another thing that would everyone in comp.sys.handhelds is to place
the machine at the beginning of the subject.  For example, putting
"HP48 -" or "HP28 -" or "HP -" at the beginning of the subject would
make everything a lot clearer.  I realize this is hard to enforce, but
if the heavy comp.sys.handhelds posters did this, then the newcomers
and other users might catch on too.  This might also keep from having
to create a new newsgroup.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     We carry in our hearts the true country,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     And that cannot be stolen.

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (02/15/91)

My $0.02:

I think a c.s.h.hp-calcs subgroup would be a good idea.....this is
specific enough to facilitate continued discussions about the 48, and
general enough to allow inclusion of other HP calcs (past, present
and future).  For many of us, HP calcs (being the only TRUE machines
deserving this fanatical devotion :-)  :-)   ), are the only ones we
are interested in following here on the net.

Steve Thomas        sjthomas@cup.portal.com

ashley@usage.csd.oz (Ashley Aitken) (02/15/91)

Just a short note to support the vote for a new "hp" handheld subgroup. I read
comp.sys.handhelds for all the articles not related to hp's and it is rather a
pain having to seek them out.

Waiting and saving for a real "dynabook",
Cheers,
Ashley Aitken.

ashley@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (02/16/91)

O.K>, 2 things.
One, off anybody who says we should have comp.sys.handhelds and
comp.sys.handhelds.hp or anythig like that;
Think!  What do you think would happen if you moved the hp's out of the
conference?  Yes, it would be easier to read, becaue there wouldn't be
any thing to read!  Almost everything is on, for, about the HP nand there
probably would be about 10 new messages a WEEK on a c.s.h without HP's.
It makes no sense to split a conference to accomade a few people with
non-HP's.  And a mean a few people becasue there are not enough messages
on non HP's to warrant a message forum dedicated to them.

Two, Christopher Lishka makes a far bettwe point, or at lest brings the
point back.  If you are posting a message, simpy put your machine type in
the subject posting.  That solves all your problems.  If you are using a
BOSS or whatever, simply scan the messages for BOSS or some key item, and
only read those messages (o.k., put BOSS in the keywords or something).
If you are using an HP, it's no big deal, just stop when you see the 2 or
3 BOSS messages.  BTW , I'm just using BOSS as an example, because I
don't want to bother writing all the other handhelds' names out.  We had
this discussion on putting machines in subject a while back and it seemed
like everyone pretty much agreed it was a good idea.    When I post, I
always specify ---- for HP48 and I have seen that a lot of people are
doing the same thing.
O.K., guys simply post yor machine in the subject, and you non HP users
want  a seperate conference, go ahead and  continue your discussion on
what the nae should be, but make it a name for non HP machines.
         ---Falco