[comp.sys.handhelds] Large binaries

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (02/17/91)

In a posting of [12 Feb 91 23:47:44 GMT]
   grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:

 > The HP can handle extended length binarys (have a look at the alarm
 > stuff in the nameless directory), there would be no problems calling
 > internal routines on them.

   One interesting property of large binary integers (17 digits or
more) is that when you edit them, they appear as:

	C# <digits> <hex data>

Unlike C$, C# doesn't seem to work the other way, i.e. with STR->.

--

Now on to the obligatory reader exercise:

	#25d3a  SYSEVAL		@ Yields a 256-digit binary used
				@ for character classification
	\->STR			@ --> "C# 256 00000000000E000..."

   I will leave it up to the reader to figure out which digit value
correspnds to what. It's used by STR\->, and there are 3 more (at
least) similar character class tables, all encoded as large binary
integers.

Happy hacking,

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu