[comp.sys.handhelds] RAM card battery usage

peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) (01/29/91)

>Apparently the big deal was over, whether the hp48 could detect a low battery
>condition as it does with the HP cards.  I don't see that it is a factor at
>all.  Barring emergencies, my card will never leave the calculator long enough
>to even start drawing power from the Card's battery.  They say that the card
>battery should hold it up for something like 2 years.. I sure as hell won't
>ever have my card out for 2 years.. ;)

     I think you have misinterpreted how the card battery is used. It is
not only used when you pull it out of the 48. It is used when the 48 is
turned OFF. The card runs off of 48 batteries only when it is turned on.
Thus, if you are a regular user like most, the card is supported most of the
time by its internal battery.

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (01/29/91)

In article <3307@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) writes:
>     I think you have misinterpreted how the card battery is used. It is
>not only used when you pull it out of the 48. It is used when the 48 is
>turned OFF. The card runs off of 48 batteries only when it is turned on.
>Thus, if you are a regular user like most, the card is supported most of the
>time by its internal battery.
>
>peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu

You are absolutely right.  I even remember hearing this before and
forgot about it totally.  Well since it is supposed to last some 2 years anyway
I have an alarm set for July of 92 to tell me to replace the battery..
I am just not all that concerned as I back up my at least once every two weeks.
It saved my ass a while back when a dbase program corrupted the memory and
when it finally surfaced, I ended up going back through my backups  1 1/2 month
to find a clean copy.

So.. I guess the question is; Is there really a problem with these cards?

	ian

--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

akcs.gak@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Eric Gakstatter) (02/20/91)

For detailed information on CMT cards for the HP-48SX, please see item #
1758. Among other things, it covers current draw of the cards.