[comp.sys.handhelds] Call for new newsgroup

peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) (02/20/91)

>From: mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS)

> Do you have a compelling reason why people who
>are interested in handhelds, but not SPECIFICALLY HP, should have to wade
>through all the HP postings?

Yes. For the same reasons that you have to:

Wade through ham messages on rec.radio.shortwave if you are interested in SWL.

Wade through bad jokes to get to good ones on rec.humor.

Wade through threads on picking locks to get to REAL security stuff on
     alt.security or misc.security

Wade through hp28 stuff to get to hp48 stuff on comp.sys.handhelds.

etc. etc. Generally, wading through threads you aren't personally
interested in to get to what YOU want to read about. This is a fact of life
in any newsgroup I have tried. Fact is, it's not the fault of HP users
that there's a great disparity between HP/non-HP postings. Where the hell
are all of these other non-HP users anyway? I don't see that many non-HP
postings that I should have the feeling hp48 postings are "stepping on toes."
Those other users are perfectly capable of posting.
     I haven't personally decided on what would be an ideal solution.
I DO know that we already have a comp.sys.hp group, and if the hp stuff
has to move, it should go to something like comp.sys.hp.calcs rather
than comp.sys.handhelds.hp.
     Heed my warning: if HP moves out, there will probably be so little
traffic on comp.sys.handhelds, there'll be a call to remove it. Maybe the
amount of hp traffic is a testament to the power, versatility, complexity, and
market share of HP products. That's the only reason I can think of that
explains so much traffic about HP products, and so little traffic about
anything else.

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu
peraino@gmuvax