[comp.sys.handhelds] My HP48sx Rev E replacement has STICKY keys!

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (02/18/91)

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) writes:

> HP says they just toss the calculators.  There is no way to get the case open
> it snaps shut when they build them with 48 (i think that was the number) litt
> snap clamps.  The keyboard is actually part fo the case (the shole top half o
> the calculator is one peice)  They just toss 'em, they don't even recycle the
> displays.  When yours goes in for repair (it broke) or replacement (you've go
> an A or any of the others that they are replacing now) they chuck it and give
> you a brand new calculator.  [text deleted]

So why doesn't here who lives near the factory just go in and raid the dump-
sters outside?  Good way to get a used Rev. D rom... :)

Rob

+------------
+------------------------------------------------------------

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (02/19/91)

>I am scheduled to send my HP48 in to HP for a Rev E upgrade.
>After hearing about at least 2 cases of the loss of tactile feedback
>on the keyboard, I'm wondering if I should just keep my Rev A.
>Does anybody know if HP replaces your calculator with a *NEW* machine,
>or do you get someone elses REV A that has been upgraded to a REV E?
>I could much easier live with the Rev A "bugs" than I could with a
>"mushy" keyboard. Boy.....what a choice!

From what I know you get a new machine.  The HP48 is glued shut with
surface mount devices on its circuit boards.  In short there is no way to
fix the ROM, you just throw it (the calculator) away.  I suppose they might
recycle the displays or something but I doubt it.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   TIM STRONG <TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.EDU>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    MICHIGAN TECH.    HOUGHTON, MICHIGAN

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (02/19/91)

HP says they just toss the calculators.  There is no way to get the case open,
it snaps shut when they build them with 48 (i think that was the number) little
snap clamps.  The keyboard is actually part fo the case (the shole top half of
the calculator is one peice)  They just toss 'em, they don't even recycle the
displays.  When yours goes in for repair (it broke) or replacement (you've got
an A or any of the others that they are replacing now) they chuck it and give
you a brand new calculator.  That's a big reason why it takes such a short
amount of time to send out the replacements.  Also why they tell you to back
it up before you send it in.  My E, a replacement for an A DOES have a
different feel to it's keys, but I wouldn't call it "sticky" in the least bit.
The tactile is still there, it just doesn't make any noise.

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (02/19/91)

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) writes:

>HP says they just toss the calculators.
>They just toss 'em, they don't even recycle the displays.

Has anyone been wandering around the Corvallis city dump? ;-)
--
		"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
		 He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA"  - The The

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (02/20/91)

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) writes:

>HP says they just toss the calculators.  There is no way to get the case open,
>it snaps shut when they build them with 48 (i think that was the number) little
>snap clamps.  The keyboard is actually part fo the case (the shole top half of
>the calculator is one peice)  They just toss 'em, they don't even recycle the
>displays.

Does anyone know what HP is doing with all those revision A, B, and C
machines that are being upgraded to revision E?  I sort of assumed
that instead of just throwing them away HP might actually be giving a
whole bunch away to some "charitable organization" (like a school).
It seems a shame to throw away a whole bunch of state-of-the-art
calculators with a few software bugs.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     We carry in our hearts the true country,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     And that cannot be stolen.

tomm@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Mackey) (02/20/91)

In article <D74A50CF600037C1@gacvx2.gac.edu> TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
+>
+>I am scheduled to send my HP48 in to HP for a Rev E upgrade.
+>After hearing about at least 2 cases of the loss of tactile feedback
+>on the keyboard, I'm wondering if I should just keep my Rev A.
+>Does anybody know if HP replaces your calculator with a *NEW* machine,
+>or do you get someone elses REV A that has been upgraded to a REV E?
+>I could much easier live with the Rev A "bugs" than I could with a
+>"mushy" keyboard. Boy.....what a choice!
+
+From what I know you get a new machine.  The HP48 is glued shut with
+surface mount devices on its circuit boards.  In short there is no way to
+fix the ROM, you just throw it (the calculator) away.  I suppose they might
+recycle the displays or something but I doubt it.

Gee.  If this is true, and since my needs are rather plebeian in comparison
to what seems to be the vocal majority in this group, I'd be happy to
accept a Revesion 1[BCD] ROM equipped HP48SX clearly stenciled:

    "UseNet Early ROM Special, No Guarantee, No Return"

plus documentation for a modest sum, say $75.00......

--
Tom Mackey       (206) 865-6575        tomm@voodoo.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services         ....uunet!bcstec!voodoo!tomm

In article <999@voodoo.UUCP> tomm@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Mackey) writes:
+Gee.  If this is true, and since my needs are rather plebeian in comparison
+to what seems to be the vocal majority in this group, I'd be happy to
+accept a Revesion 1[BCD] ROM equipped HP48SX clearly stenciled:

+    "UseNet Early ROM Special, No Guarantee, No Return"

+plus documentation for a modest sum, say $75.00......

Ouch.... I spell 'plebeian' correctly, then mess up on 'Revesion' (sic)....

Don't ya just hate it when that happens?!

Slinking back to his dictionary,
--

woodhams@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael Woodhams) (02/20/91)

In article <B906E62F159F404B45@ISUVAX.BITNET> TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) writes:
>HP says they just toss the calculators.  There is no way to get the case open,
>it snaps shut when they build them with 48 (i think that was the number) little
>snap clamps.  The keyboard is actually part fo the case (the shole top half of
>the calculator is one peice)  They just toss 'em, they don't even recycle the
>displays.

This seems an extreemly strange way to design a $300 calculator. Can
anyone at HP give an explanation why it was done like this,
particularly as the need to replace ROMs was one which could have been
forseen? Since they are just going to throw away my rev A 48 when I
send it in for replacement with a rev E, would it be OK if I broke it
open first to have a look at the insides, and then sent the pieces in
a bag?

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.162623.12234@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu>, lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:

> Does anyone know what HP is doing with all those revision A, B, and C
> machines that are being upgraded to revision E?  I sort of assumed
> that instead of just throwing them away HP might actually be giving a
> whole bunch away to some "charitable organization" (like a school).
> It seems a shame to throw away a whole bunch of state-of-the-art
> calculators with a few software bugs.

On the other hand they could store them and use them for extra parts. Or
clean them up and sell them (if in good condition).

Nicolai Langfeldt

ervin@pinbot.enet.dec.com (Joseph James Ervin) (02/20/91)

> Does anyone know what HP is doing with all those revision A, B, and C
> machines that are being upgraded to revision E?  I sort of assumed
> that instead of just throwing them away HP might actually be giving a
> whole bunch away to some "charitable organization" (like a school).
> It seems a shame to throw away a whole bunch of state-of-the-art
> calculators with a few software bugs.

>>On the other hand they could store them and use them for extra parts. Or
>>clean them up and sell them (if in good condition).

>>Nicolai Langfeldt

People seem to have a problem with the thought of HP throwing out
the old rev 48SX's that they receive for upgrades.  Realistically
speaking, this is the only reasonable think to do.  Face it, none of the
components in there are particularly valuable.  It's my guess that the
materials for the whole calculator probably only cost HP around $50-$75.
Given that most of those would be destroyed in any effort to salvage
the old rev calculators, there is very little reason to do anything but
throw them out.

Also, in terms of profits it makes verylittle sense to give them out.
Giving the calculators away doesn't make sense in my mind.  The
48SX is a terribly (wonderfully) complicated machine, and the only
people who are going to take the time to learn how to use it are the
people who would probably go out and buy one anyway (my opinion).

Also, from an engineering perspective, engineers generally don't like
to have old revs of software out in the field, and certainly a
company like HP would not want to distribute machines that they
were not "up to snuff".  This is bad advertising, even if the customer
is receiving a free machine.

Still, I would love to find 10 or 20 of them in the trash.  I'll bet HP
must have to watch their trash very carefully these days.  :-)

>>>Joe Ervin

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (02/21/91)

Remember when the 28S came out,  EduCALC offered a trade-in credit if you
sent them your old 28C, which they resold for $70 or $80 or so.  Anyway,
the demand for the old 28C's was much greater than the supply.  HP could
probably recoup a lot of the money they would otherwise lose if they
offered the "old" 48SX models for sale as-is, say for $99 or $129, or
something.  The 28C had a lot more bugs than the early 48's do, and I
think a lot of people would be willing to live with the bugs if they knew
they got a really good deal on the calculator.

Yet another $0.02 from me.  (HP, feel free to use this idea for the low,
low cost of only 10% of the gross sales :-)  ).

Stephen Thomas             sjthomas@cup.portal.com