[comp.sys.handhelds] HP & Non-HP question: Need programmable with time-of-day clock

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (02/19/91)

  I am looking for a programmable handheld that has an internal
time-of-day clock that permits the current time to be retrieved as a
value by programs.

  Currently, I know of three handhelds that permit this:  the SHARP
PC-1500, the HP-17B, and HP-48.  None of these are entirely
satisfactory.  The SHARP PC-1500 is no longer in production, and is
hard to find used.  In addition, it's BASIC interpreter is very slow.
The HP-17B has only limited scientific programming capabilities, being
a business calculator, and the HP-48 is simply too expensive for me.
(I'd like something <= $100.)

  Does anybody know of some other programmable handhelds that feature
internal time-of-day clocks?  (Regardless of the price?)  I assume
that the Atari Portfolio has one that can be accessed by programs, but
am not sure?  Are there others by Casio? TI?

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter

kenr@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Ken Rawlings) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb19.144042.23725@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:

>  I am looking for a programmable handheld that has an internal
>time-of-day clock that permits the current time to be retrieved as a
>value by programs.
>
>(I'd like something <= $100.)

	The HP28 does not have a time-of-day clock built-in by default, but
it does have an internal timer that people have used to base clocks around.
Back when I had my 28S I had one of these programs and it seemed to keep
pretty good time. Anyway, the 28S is available used from Edu-Calc for under
$100, and i'm sure one of the HP archives has the clock program(which i'm
sure could be modified to return the current time when called by another
program)

				Ken Rawlings

 Ken Rawlings / kenr@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu / Indiana University, South Bend

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Brjeson @ KTH, Stockholm) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.144042.23725@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:

>  I am looking for a programmable handheld that has an internal
>time-of-day clock that permits the current time to be retrieved as a
>value by programs.
>
>  Currently, I know of three handhelds that permit this:  the SHARP
>PC-1500, the HP-17B, and HP-48.  None of these are entirely
>satisfactory.  The SHARP PC-1500 is no longer in production, and is
>hard to find used.  In addition, it's BASIC interpreter is very slow.
>The HP-17B has only limited scientific programming capabilities, being
>a business calculator, and the HP-48 is simply too expensive for me.
>(I'd like something <= $100.)
>
>  Does anybody know of some other programmable handhelds that feature
>internal time-of-day clocks?  (Regardless of the price?)  I assume
>that the Atari Portfolio has one that can be accessed by programs, but
>am not sure?  Are there others by Casio? TI?

Even if it is no long produced, you ought to be able to find a used
HP41cx or a regular 41 + a Time Module, priced under $100. (But not mine,
I'll hang on to it forever!)

>--
>Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
>MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
>545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
>Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)

!++
! Lennart Boerjeson, System Manager
! School of Electrical Engineering
! Royal Institute of Technology
! S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
! tel: int+46-8-7907814
! Internet: lennartb@lne.kth.se
!--

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (02/20/91)

You can also read the internal clock on a HP-28s.  (This is not stated in the
manuals)

It is much cheaper than a HP-48.

Note:  Before I get flooded with mail from HP-28s users who didn't know this
	let me say that all of the information is available from my
	mail server.

	mail
	To: wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
	Subject: HP-MAIL-SERVER

	HP28
	send INDEX
	.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET: wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:   wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:     purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

palmermg@infonode.ingr.com (Michael G. Palmer) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.144042.23725@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>
streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:
>  I am looking for a programmable handheld that has an internal
>time-of-day clock that permits the current time to be retrieved as a
>value by programs.

yes

>  Currently, I know of three handhelds that permit this:  the SHARP
>PC-1500, the HP-17B, and HP-48.  None of these are entirely

>  Does anybody know of some other programmable handhelds that feature
>internal time-of-day clocks?  (Regardless of the price?)  I assume
>that the Atari Portfolio has one that can be accessed by programs, but
>am not sure?  Are there others by Casio? TI?

The hp-41cx, or hp41 with time module will do just this.  They can
be had used for under $100, and while they are out of production,
is still a very popular machine.

>Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
>MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
>545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
>Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)

Michael Palmer     205/730-7023
mpalmer@zaphod.b11.ingr.com
palmermg@infonode.ingr.com
..uunet!ingr!b11!zaphod!mpalmer

grahamf@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Fraser) (02/21/91)

	The HP-17B has only limited scientific programming capabilities, being
a business calculator, and the HP-48 is simply too expensive for me.
(I'd like something <= $100.)

grahamf@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Fraser) (02/21/91)

Kenneth B. Streeter asks:
> I am looking for a programmable handheld that has an internal
> time-of-day clock ..............

> The HP-17B has only limited scientific programming capabilities, being
> a business calculator,  and the HP-48 is simply too expensive for me.
> (I'd like something <= $100.)

What about the HP19BII ????

Not <=$100,  but close:  US$135 from EduCalc.

The HP19B has all of the date and time capabilities of the HP17B,  plus a
comprehensive range of scientific and math functions., and business functions.  Like the
HP17B,  the HP19B programmability is via the HP SOLVE capabilities.

The final choice of calculator depends on the type of problems to be
solved,  but in any case,  the HP19BII is worth serious consideration!

Graham Fraser
Coconut => Halfnut => Titan => Orlando => Paladin => Charlemagne => ????

Note:  I do not work for Hewlett-Packard.  These comments are my own,  and
do not necessarily reflect those of Hewlett-Packard.

umapd51@cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) (02/26/91)

Another calculator which allows programs to get the time, and which
costs less than $100 is the HP27S. This is in many ways like the HP17B,
which the questioner did not want because of its lack of scientific
functions, but the 27S has more scientific functions than the 17B, and
fewer business functions. In fact both are subsets of the 19B, which
also has time functions (but costs well over $100), except that the 27S
also has a BASE menu for hex, dec, oct, binary numbers, and has ten
alarms instead of five.
Are there any other folks out there who would like to see an updated HP
27S with RPN - the way the HP 19B and HP 17B have been updated to the HP
Are there people out there who would agree with me that an HP 27S
with RPN, like the HP 19BII and the HP 17BII would be nice?
Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, Space & Atmospheric Physics Group, Imperial
College, London

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb26.033038.6095@cc.ic.ac.uk> umapd51@cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) writes:
>Another calculator which allows programs to get the time, and which
>costs less than $100 is the HP27S. This is in many ways like the HP17B,
>Are there any other folks out there who would like to see an updated HP
>27S with RPN - the way the HP 19B and HP 17B have been updated to the HP

Yes, I think that an RPN "HP-27SII" would be a very nice machine,
certainly *much* improved over the 32S...

Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]
University Networking Services		+1 612 624 3375 desk
University of Minnesota			+1 612 625 0006 problems
130 Lind Hall, 207 Church St SE		+1 612 626 1002 FAX
Minneapolis MN 55455-0134, U.S.A.