[comp.sys.handhelds] Bar code info

bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) (02/22/91)

Do any of you old hp41 hackers have any on-line info about how bar codes are
  coded?  I'd look in the library, but I am reeeaally lazy and I thought
  I'd just let my fingers do the walking, as it were.

Thanks in advance for any information.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (02/26/91)

Bill Gribble asks:

> Do any of you old hp41 hackers have any on-line information about
> how bar codes are coded?

Bill: On-line, no, but I have two copies of "Creating Your Own HP-41
Bar Code", HP's 80-page book on the subject (part number 82153-90019).

One is yours, if you like.  It's 8.5 by 11 inches, 10 ounces.  Send
s.a.s.e. to Joseph K. Horn / 1042 Star Route / Orange, CA 92667.

But... WHY???  If you are thinking about HP 48 barcode, then DON'T
use the 41 barcode scheme, which is probably the least efficient
barcode scheme ever designed.

-- Joseph K. Horn -- Peripheral Vision, Ltd. --

johns@hpqmolb.sqf.hp.com ( John Struthers) (02/26/91)

Bill:
      Sorry, but I have no on-line barcode generation information, but you
may like to track down copies of the following manuals which should give all
the info you need ...

"Creating Your Own HP-41 Bar Code"     HP Manual No. 82153-90019  Publ.1981

"HP 82184A Plotter Module Owners Module"  Manual No. 82184-90001  Publ.1983

As these are old publications, I doubt if they are still available from HP.

Regards,  johns

 I have no professional connection with Hewlett-Packard's calculator
 operations other than as a user of their excellent products ...
Name:         John Struthers
Email:        johns@hpqmola.sqf.hp.com
Address:      South Queensferry,  West Lothian,  EH30 9TG,   Scotland

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Brjeson @ KTH, Stockholm) (02/27/91)

In article <10924@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:
>Do any of you old hp41 hackers have any on-line info about how bar codes are
>  coded?  I'd look in the library, but I am reeeaally lazy and I thought
>  I'd just let my fingers do the walking, as it were.
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.

The only thing I have is an age-old BASIC program which converts human-
readable HP41 source to an ASCII format which with some postprocessing
can be used to produce bar code. It can not make all kinds of bar code,
only programs. The PPC ROM contains quite a lot of info on bar codes.

>**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
>**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

!++
! Lennart Boerjeson, System Manager
! School of Electrical Engineering