[comp.sys.handhelds] dead 48

bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) (02/21/91)

after running the gateway-48 program, my 48 has apparently expired.
  When the program prompted me for a code, I entered one and the machine
  locked.  All attempts to revive it were futile.

After removing the batteries and keeping them out for several minutes,
  I put them back in and the LCD was black with a vertical white stripe
  about 3 pixels wide and the hourglass annunciator on.  I took the batteries
  back out after 10 sec or so.

If you know what's going on or might have any advice please send mail.
  I will flame unmercifully anyone who sends a message with the words
  or sentiment 'bummer dude, I'm glad it wasn't me.'

If it matters: version E, 3046axxxxx, cmt 128k installed. (out now.)

Bill

In article <10898@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:
>after running the gateway-48 program, my 48 has apparently expired.
>  When the program prompted me for a code, I entered one and the machine
>  locked.  All attempts to revive it were futile.
>
>After removing the batteries and keeping them out for several minutes,
>  I put them back in and the LCD was black with a vertical white stripe
>  about 3 pixels wide and the hourglass annunciator on.  I took the batteries
>  back out after 10 sec or so.
>
>If you know what's going on or might have any advice please send mail.
>  I will flame unmercifully anyone who sends a message with the words
>  or sentiment 'bummer dude, I'm glad it wasn't me.'
>
>If it matters: version E, 3046axxxxx, cmt 128k installed. (out now.)
>
>Bill

<sheepish grin> everything's o.k. now.  I left the batteries out for
  thirty min. or so and - though I lost my memory (~100k!) - I got
  back to normal.

Guess this could be considered a bug report for gateway-48... the only
  nonstandard thing I did was hitting the install key before setting a
  password.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (02/22/91)

	In case it matters, I installed GATEWAY-48 on my version D (S.N.
3017......) with 1 128K *genuine HP* RAM card installed, and it worked
beautifully the first time and continues to function flawlessly. Only
mentioning this because "correct behaviour" reports sometimes help to
demystify bugs....
	By the way, I *never* run the clock display.

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (02/22/91)

p.s. -- I, too, hit install before setting a password, with no dire
consequences.

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (02/27/91)

In article <7640@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) writes:

>	In case it matters, I installed GATEWAY-48 on my version D (S.N.
>3017......) with 1 128K *genuine HP* RAM card installed, and it worked
>beautifully the first time and continues to function flawlessly. Only
>mentioning this because "correct behaviour" reports sometimes help to
>demystify bugs....
>	By the way, I *never* run the clock display.
		      ^^^^^^^

This caught my eye.  I nearly always run the clock display.  (Only when
archiving and when CHIP doesn't want to run from a program do I turn it
off.)  {I've a short prog that turns the clock off if it is on, PROMPTs the
user to hit CONTinue, calls CHIP, and then re set's the clock flag if it
was set in the 1st place.  The PROMPT or a HALT is required to turn off the
interupt, or the emulator suffers a performance drop.}

This brings up another point I was thinking of making.  When I first read
the CHIP docs, I assumed that the clock problem was that even after the
flag was cleared, the clock display remained until the current prog exited.
My experience encasing CHIP in calling routine suggests that the actual
problem is that the interupt remains on, degrading CHIP's performance.  I
wonder if there are any wispered hints floating around that might alleviate
that problem??? (HINT HINT HINT ;^) )

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA