[comp.sys.handhelds] AgendA review

anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/02/91)

This is a repost:

From smm12@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk Wed Dec 13 17:20:35 1989
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 22:49:47 GMT
From: smm12@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk
Subject: Information file concerning AgendA

Here's the content of the leaflet I picked up at the PC Show in October, from
the Microwriter stand:

==

AgendA
- The personal organiser that makes other personal organisers look thick.

(Picture of a filofax, with accompanying "Gosh isn't the personal organiser
invaluable, but doesn't it get bulky and untidy quickly; and supposing you
were to lose it?" text)

            The AgendA - the smarter way to organise your life.

The AgendA is slim enough to slip into an inside pocket or handbag - yet can
do everything a personal organiser can do, and more.

Because the AgendA has a brain (sic), it'll find any information that you
have keyed into it, in a matter of seconds. And a great deal of work has gone
into making sure that it's really easy-to-use.

Phone and address book:
You can find any entry in seconds. And even if you've forgotten the surname,
the AgendA will trace it from the first name or any other word you've keyed
in with it.

Appointments diary:
You can key in appointments for any date up to the year 2050, with a discreet
alarm to remind you when you are due anywhere. You can see your appointments
on the screen, or print them out.

Daily action list:
Instead of writing out that long list every day, the AgendA keeps a clean and
up-to-date list, divided into phone calls, people to see, letters to write -
with the urgent items shown first.

Note pad:
Make notes as you go along - and if you like transfer them at a key stroke to
your diary, daily action list or phone book - or indeed your PC.

Information filing system:
Easy access to customer lists, travel itineraries, credit card numbers,
restaurants - and a wealth of other data which you can inspect or print out
in alphabetical order, date order, product type or however you like.

Calculator:
The AgendA acts as a calculator with a difference: full details of the
calculations are shown on the screen so you can see what figures you put in,
as well as the answer.

Alarm clock:
Use your AgendA to set an alarm to wake you in the morning - or to remind you
when you have to leave for an appointment or make a phone call - and the
screen reminds you what it is you wanted to remember.

(All of the above have screen-shots next to them)

Pocket word processor:
A powerful built-in word processing program, so that you can write letters or
reports - and print out the results.

Extension to your PC:
Your AgendA can pass information to your PC or receive information from it.
So you can capture information for your PC on the move - or carry around any
part of your data-base with you.

Microwriting - an amazing way to learn "touch-typing" in one hour:

In addition to the familiar A-to-Z and number keys, the AgendA has seven
black keys (one for each finger of one hand, plus two shift keys) to enable
you to benefit from the unique system of "Microwriting".

It is up to you whether you want to teach yourself Microwriting (all the
AgendA's functions can be enjoyed without it) but, for a small investment of
your time, you could learn to write notes, records and letters into the
AgendA at normal handwriting speed or faster - and FAR FASTER than you can
"hunt and peck" on a typewriter or computer.

Why is Microwriting so easy?
----------------------------

The secret lies in the simple microwriter learning system, which is based on
the shapes of the letters.

Each of the fingers of your right hand "belongs" to one of the 5 main
Microwriting keys.

For example, you Microwrite the letter I by pressing the thumb and index
finger like this:

   -O-     O

   -O-     O

Think of yourself as creating the shape with your fingers.

The letter L involves pressing the thumb, index finger, and little finger.

    O      O

    O------O

All of the letters of the alphabet, numbers, and punctuation marks are based
on easy-to-remember patterns related to the shape or character of the letters
and numbers. Microwriting on the AgendA opens up an opportunity for you to
produce printed text on your own, just as if you were a touch-typist.

Complete Security:
------------------

You can make a "safety copy" of your AgendA's memory in a few seconds on a
tiny memory card. This means you can instantly replace your AgendA's contents
if it is lost or stolen - something you can't do if you lose your pocket
diary or paper personal organiser. You can even pass information to your
office or transfer it to another AgendA and the card can be used over and
over again.

Program cards:
--------------

A number of special plug-in cards turn your AgendA into an English-French or
English-German trnaslator - or into a financial calculator able to carry out
the most sophisticated amortization and discounted cash-flow exercise, with
all your calculations visible on the screen and automatically stored in files
for later reference. And the AgendA's programming language will allow you to
write the most sophisticated programs to meet your own or your company's
needs.

Specifications:
---------------

Dimensions:        Length: 175mm Width: 85mm Depth: 20mm
Weight:            275 grams (including built-in rechargeable batteries)
Power supply:      Internal NiCad rechargeable batteries (charger/mains
                   adaptor included). Adaptor for disposable 9v battery
                   available.
Display:           80 character LCD (4 lines by 20)
Processor:         Hitachi 6303 microprocessor. Hight speed (4.9Mhz). Custom
                   IC, 32K ROM (holding all software). Internal 100 year
                   clock/calender, audible alarms.
On-board memory:   32K RAM (expandable to 64K)
Auxiliary memory:  Removable RAM storage cards with long-life lithium
                   batteries for security backup and off-line storage.
Interfaces:        Choice of parallel interface and RS-232C serial interface
                   via adjustable cable, to interface with a wide range of
                   printers and PCs.
Keyboard:          Elastomeric / membrane keyboard providing -
                      a-z alpha keys
                      shifted punctuation and symbols
                      separate numeric keyboard
                      special-purpose function keys
                      programmable keys for custom features
                      PLUS Microwriting chord keys for rapid text entry.
Built-in software: AgendA database/organiser software with real-time search
                      facility (?!)
                   AgendA word-processing software with full editing and
                      formatting facilities
                   AgendA communications software
Optional extras:   32K storage cards
                   Parallel or RS232C serial or PC cable
                   Special programs on ROM cards
                   Adaptor for 9V Disposable battery.

Prices:
-------

32K AgendA ....................................................  195
32K storage card ..............................................   35
PC cable (female plug) ........................................   25
Parallel cable ................................................   25
General purpose RS232 cable with DIP-switch panel (male plug) .   35
English/German language card ..................................   35
English/French language card ..................................   35
PC Communications software (both 3.5" and 5.25" disks) ........   15
Full PC package (includes cable & software) ...................   35
Optional 9V battery adaptor ...................................    6
Special courier delivery ......................................   10

Prices INCLUDE VAT and are in POUNDS STERLING. (As I type them, they have
pound signs next to them, but doubtless your American computer will filter
those out :-)

Contact:
--------
Microwriter Systems PLC
Wandle Way
Willow Lane
Mitcham
CR4 9AR
United Kingdom

Telephone (UK) + 01-685-0300
Fax       (UK) + 01-640-8813

==

My comments:
------------

The machine is laid out like this:

| |-----------------------|             /--\              |
| |                       |      /--\   \--/    /--\      |
| |        display        |      \--/           \--/      |
| |                       |                               |
| |-----------------------|      [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] /--\ |
|                                [6] [7] [8] [9] [0] \--/ |
|  [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]    [A] [B] [C] [D] [E] [F] [G] |
|  [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]     /--\   [H] [I] [J] [K] [L] [M] [N] |
|  [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] ( ) |  |   [O] [P] [Q] [R] [S] [T] [U] |
|  [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] ( ) \--/   [ ] [V] [W] [X] [Y] [Z] [<] |

The display is comparable to most pocket computers. It shows lower-case, but
characters with descenders are raised slightly.

The function keys are under the display, and can be operated by the left hand
without taking your right hand off of the microwriting keys. The numeric and
alphabetic keys on the right hand side are clearly a token gesture for those
who don't think that they want to learn microwriting, or who want to be able
to use the machine right away. They are completely impractical for typing
text - no better than those on my Psion Organiser, although the spacing is a
bit better.

The woman demonstrating the AgendA said that she had been Microwriting for
three weeks; she was already as fast as I am (about 30-35wpm) when I'm typing
on a normal keyboard, and I've been typing for ten years (although I've not
taken any courses).

On show but not on the price list was a new product: the AgendA MacPac. It's
a software pack and cable to connect the AgendA to a Macintosh; the software
works via Hypercard, and allows import and export of diary, notepad, text,
and database information - or so they tell me; I've not seen it running.
None of what's on the price list is vapourware, as far as I can tell; it all
seemed to be there on display.

One of my gripes about the Psion is that its alarm is too quiet. I've heard
the AgendA's "discreet" alarm, and it's much the same volume. However, rather
than impersonating a siren, it bleeps a couple of times each minute until you
tell it to shut up. Okay if you leave it sitting on your desk, I suppose, but
don't expect it to wake you up in the morning.

The AgendA's programming language is called ABC (for Agenda Basic Compiler).
It's a semi-compiled BASIC variant (I'd prefer almost anything else, but I
don't expect any pocket LISP machines in the near future). I've not seen any
code written in it, so I can't tell you how structured (read: "bearable") it
is. I gather that it is available now.

Price-wise, the AgendA seems to compare very favourably with the Psion LZ,
its nearest rival. The Psion is about fifty quid cheaper, but doesn't have
the database, mains adaptor, rechargeable batteries, or text editor. I'm
almost certainly going to sell my Psion XP (32K) and buy an AgendA; the main
attraction for me is being able to type text at 30wpm into a pocket-sized
unit wherever I am, and then upload it to my ST later. (I expect I'll have to
write the software myself, but that's life).

Personal Computer World Magazine here in the UK reviewed the AgendA a few
months ago. The points which they raised which have stuck in my memory are:
 * The Microwriter keys don't quite have as good a "feel" as on the original
   Microwriter. (True, but I think they're adequate)
 * The text-processor is more powerful than those for most other comparable
   machines. It will handle underlining, bold text, different type sizes,
   centred text, justified text, and so on.
 * The filing system uses terminology which is a little eccentric.

Microwriter Ltd. have been around in the UK for a number of years; their
first product was the Microwriter, a mini text-processing computer with the
chord-entry keys only. They followed this up with plug-in Microwriter
keyboards for popular UK computers. The Microwriters were a bit expensive
(and only had a one-line screen) and the keyboards didn't catch on, and the
company disappeared for a while.

I think that with the AgendA they've produced a really good product which
will give the current crop of pocket computers and laptops a good run for
their money, in the UK at least. Whether they will try (like Psion and
Cambridge Computer) to expand into the US remains to be seen; I'd guess not,
at least for the next couple of years, because of the financial risk that
would be involved and because of the US computer market's xenophobia.

==

Disclaimer:
No guarantee is given as to the accuracy of the above information.
I have no connection with Microwriter Systems PLC; although if they'd like to
give me a discount as a reward for the advert above, I wouldn't say no.
Opinions expressed within this text are not those of Cambridge University
Computer Laboratory or any other department of the University. Offer void
where prohibited by law. Your mileage may vary.

Please feel free to post any or all of this message to relevant newsgroups
(EG comp.sys.handhelds, comp.society.futures, soc.yuppie, etc.)
--
mathew.   Undergraduate, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
JANET:       smm12@uk.ac.cam.cl      EAN:         smm12%cam.cl@ean-relay.ac.uk