[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 48SX: EduCALC Goodies Disk #2 !!

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (02/26/91)

Thanks, Joe!  For the people who requested Voyager V1.0-7, please order
Joe's Disk from EduCALC instead.  I only _had_ a few of my own to ship...
 their all gone - sorry!

        Derek S. Nickel

oscar@dobag.in-berlin.de (Carsten Tschach) (02/26/91)

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) writes:

>Although Derek Nickel has announced Voyager 7 (and no doubt will continue
>to improve this awesomely useful and fun software), it is Voyager SIX
>that you'll find on the JUST RELEASED EduCALC Goodies Disk NUMBER TWO.

Where can I get this nice disk ?

Thanks, Carsten
--
     "Suddenly there comes a blinding flash....and then comes OSCAR !"

INTERNET: tschach@kristall.chemie.fu-berlin.dbp.de
    UUCP: oscar@dobag.in-berlin.de    ....uunet!unido!tmpmbx!lime!dobag!oscar

Dan_Ciarniello@cc.sfu.ca (02/27/91)

> Although Derek Nickel has announced Voyager 7 (and no doubt will continue
> to improve this awesomely useful and fun software), it is Voyager SIX
> that you'll find on the JUST RELEASED EduCALC Goodies Disk NUMBER TWO.

What are the differences between Voyager V1.0-6 and V1.0-7?
Dan Ciarniello
Capilano College
North Vancouver, B. C.
E-mail: Dan_Ciarniello@cc.sfu.ca

kenr@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Ken Rawlings) (02/27/91)

Perhaps this is a boneheaded thing to say, but i'm going to say it anyway.
The Goodies disk is made up of all Public Domain programs, correct? Thus
EduCALC does not have a copyright on it, right? If this is the case, could
somebody archive(zoo, lharc, tar, whatever) the two disks and upload them
to an ftp site?

					Thanks,
						Ken Rawlings
 Ken Rawlings / kenr@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu / Indiana University, South Bend

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (02/27/91)

Ken Rawlings asks if the EduCALC Goodies disks (1) are entirely public
domain stuff, and (2) can therefore be archived in an ftp site.

Ken and all: The EduCALC Goodies Disks (two now; #3 about half ready) are
entirely public domain OR shareware.  Everything on the disk may be
freely copied, provided of course that the credits and shareware notices
remain intact.  The disks even carry the message "Please give copies of
this disk to all your friends!"

The disks are sold for the cost of production, shipping, catalog space
costs, etc.  No profit is made by EduCALC, and I have given them two
disks (#1 and #2), and received two disks back.  The more copies of these
disks get "pirated", the better!  I refuse to put stuff on them when the
authors include documentations that says "This software may be copied
freely but not used for commercial purposes."  Only things clearly in the
public domain, and things with clear shareware instructions, (and which I
consider to be "goodies"), wind up on the Goodies disks.

If you get copies and post their contents all over the place, I thank
you, because I'd like to but can't.

-- Joseph K. Horn -- Peripheral Vision, Ltd. --

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (03/01/91)

Dan,

I'm sorry, but that's classified information.

I don't remember everything that different (I don't have my 00README file
in front of me), but:

* Last remaining MC instructions are know unthreaded.
* Additional functionallity for the SEARCH command (search for PREFIXed
entry points...)
* source code now provided.

But: Voyager V1.0-6 itself has a lot of stuff in it.  Rather than spend
zillions of dollars on long distance charges, I would suggest getting it
from EduCALC.  The EduCALC disk #2 also has other related material that
is not part of Voyager, but that you will no doubt want.

        Derek S. NIckel

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (03/01/91)

You might want to check first to make sure that they're not claiming a
"compilation" copyright.

In other words, it's possible to copyright a collection of programs, even
if every program in the collection is public domain.

Terrell

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (03/01/91)

Derek and all: A minor difference between Voyager 6 and 7 is a bug which
seems to have crept into 7.  Try this:

   LOAD 1 USAG
   SET MODE NOPAGER
   UT 80000
   UNLOAD 1
   UT 80000

Sure, I know; it's silly to unthread code that's not there.  But version
6 just gave an error message.  Version 7 usually gives the error message
and then crashes so badly that CTRL-ALT-DELETE does nothing.

Just thought you'd like to know.

-- Joe Horn

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (03/02/91)

Joe,

Thanks for the report; I hadn't seen this.  I'll look into it.

        Derek S. Nickel

grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Frobozz) (03/03/91)

>  I refuse to put stuff on them when the
>authors include documentations that says "This software may be copied
>freely but not used for commercial purposes."  Only things clearly in the
>public domain, and things with clear shareware instructions, (and which I
>consider to be "goodies"), wind up on the Goodies disks.

Hmmmm, then how did my reversi program end up on one of the disks????
I did include my usual disclaimer about not being used for commercial
purposes without my permission and I haven't given my permission (yet).

Despite the tone of the preceeding paragraph, I am quite happy for my
code to appear on the goodies disks (take this as giving permission to
put any of my programs on one, unless stated otherwise.  I would like
to know that my code is appearing!  I got a bit of a surprise when I
read the contents list :-).

							Pauli
seeya

Paul Dale               | Internet/CSnet:            grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au