[comp.sys.handhelds] Stupid RPL tricks and some Voyager questions

stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (03/05/91)

I was amused to note that RPL is sufficiently LISP-like to allow
you to code an infinite loop this way:

\<<
   \<< \-> x
      \<< x x EVAL \>>
   \>> \-> x
   \<< x x EVAL \>>
\>>

Which is equivalent to the Scheme or LISP construction

((lambda (x) (x x))
 (lambda (x) (x x)))

I just finished the rather painful port of Derek Nickel's Voyager
to Turbo C 2.0, necessary because the supplied executable
(apparently compiled with Microsoft C 6.0) wouldn't run on my
somewhat outdated HP 150.  I say painful because although
Voyager is not a C++ program, it contains many C++-style comments
that regular C compilers choke on, and uses truly horrible
VMS-style identifiers containing the '$' character that Turbo C
would also reject.  (Someone needs to get you an account on a
UNIX box, Derek.  VMS is a bagbiter.)  However, an evening of
patching up these unportable constructions produced a version of
Voyager that seems to work so far.  Now my remaining problem is
that although the documentation says that VOYAGER.DOC explains
how to create the HP48.MEM file, repeated readings of VOYAGER.DOC
didn't turn up said explanation.  However, I can guess how it's
done so I'll be trying it tonight.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

n371aa@tamuts.tamu.edu (Barry Anderson) (03/06/91)

In article <STEVEV.91Mar5094016@greylady.uoregon.edu> stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) writes:
>I just finished the rather painful port of Derek Nickel's Voyager
>to Turbo C 2.0, necessary because the supplied executable
>(apparently compiled with Microsoft C 6.0) wouldn't run on my
>somewhat outdated HP 150.  I say painful because although

I would like to get your ported version of Voyager for TC.
I have TC++ and could work on porting it to C++ over spring
break. The easiest way for me to get it (possibly not for others)
is if it was arced then posted after it was uuencoded.

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Barry Anderson

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (03/07/91)

Steve,

They say that the first operationing system that you learn is the one
that you like the most.  I first learned UNIX at U.C. Berkeley about 12
years ago.  I thought it was pretty good.  Then I got a job and
discovered VAX/VMS.  Flame me if you want, but DOS is as close to UNIX as
I want to get (VMS really is better, if not portable).  So, please don't
get me a UNIX box (I'd take it and use it - but I won't be happy).

As for the C++ style comments (//), arn't those all surrounded with
normal comment delimiters? (/* ... */).  If not you have my aplogy, I had
intended to use // just in the body of a normal comment (VAX C doesn't
like // either)) .  Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to port
Voyager, did they? :-)  (I was thinking of switching from MSC to TC, but
if TC doesn't support // or $ then no-way!)

In VOYAGER.DOC, there is (or was) documenation on the DMPTOMEM program
that describes in detail how to build a MEM file.  This is near the end
of the document.  Please verify that this is missing or present/

        Derek S. Nickel

*** the opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to
*** change without notice.