[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48sx: Phone Book Question...

TAINT020@ysub.ysu.edu (Robert Noe) (03/07/91)

A while ago I posted a Phone Book Program that used James Donnelly's
Libraries and I was just wondering if anybody out there was using it?
I got a rather pitiful response, 1 about the program and 2 about my
signature.  Anyway I am debugging a multiple account money manager that
uses the same Libraries and I was wondering if it was worth posting?
Does anyone out there use/have the Toolbox libraries?  Should I take
the time to clean up my code and post it?  Is anyone out there??
---
            Bob Noe
               TAINT020@YSUB.YSU.EDU
"All the brightest boys, to play with the biggest toys,
 More than they bargined for" -- Rush

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (03/08/91)

TAINT020@ysub.ysu.edu (Robert Noe) writes:

>A while ago I posted a Phone Book Program that used James Donnelly's
>Libraries and I was just wondering if anybody out there was using it?
>I got a rather pitiful response, 1 about the program and 2 about my
>signature.  Anyway I am debugging a multiple account money manager that
>uses the same Libraries and I was wondering if it was worth posting?
>Does anyone out there use/have the Toolbox libraries?  Should I take
>the time to clean up my code and post it?  Is anyone out there??

I think if you have something useful to yourself, then its useful to post.
I don't find an immediate need for a phone book program, and I don't have
Donnelly's libraries, but its good to know that once I get the libraries,
I can get your phone book program off of the mail server.

So don't value a program entirely off the immediate response you get to it.
Many people won't be using it for a while yet.  I wonder how much response
the 'Celestial Navigation' author got for his software, yet he continually
puts out updated versions.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, not necessarily
with net access, appreciates his efforts.
--

  "This special edition of The Gulf War will continue after these messages."
                                                                    -ABC

fledley@condor.mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (03/08/91)

writes:

>So don't value a program entirely off the immediate response you get to it.
>Many people won't be using it for a while yet.  I wonder how much response
>the 'Celestial Navigation' author got for his software, yet he continually
>puts out updated versions.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, not necessarily
>with net access, appreciates his efforts.

I second this!  A big thanks to all who put the work into posting their recent
stuff.  I really enjoy following people's progamming efforts on the net,
even if I don't need the particular program right away.  In fact I find
that the authors on the net often run into problems that I later have, and if
the posted the method they used for getting around the hassle, it helps me
on my way...

So keep up the good work!  (I am just finishing up a suite of programs to assist
in DNA sequence analysis and related fields, which I will post RSN.  If you
think few people use a phone-book-manager, how many do you think will use
_that_?  ;-)  )

------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------
      ___               | R. Mark Adams              | On cars:  "...if such a
     /  /               | Baylor College of Medicine |thing did exist, it would
    /  /_____  ______   | Department of Cell Biology |certainly be called an
   /   __   / / __  /   |                            |'isomobile' or an
  /  /  /  / / /_/ /    | fledley@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu   |'autokinesin'.  Never mix
 /__/  /__/ /  ___/     |                            |Greek and Latin."
           /  /         |  "Molecular Biologist in   |
          /__/          |         Training..."       |  -Goethe
------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------

krader@sequent.UUCP (Kurtis D. Rader) (03/08/91)

In article <91066.105056TAINT020@ysub.ysu.edu>
TAINT020@ysub.ysu.edu (Robert Noe) writes:
%A while ago I posted a Phone Book Program that used James Donnelly's
%Libraries and I was just wondering if anybody out there was using it?
%I got a rather pitiful response, 1 about the program and 2 about my
%signature.  Anyway I am debugging a multiple account money manager that
%uses the same Libraries and I was wondering if it was worth posting?
%Does anyone out there use/have the Toolbox libraries?  Should I take
%the time to clean up my code and post it?  Is anyone out there??

I seem to have missed your posting of the PhoneBook program.  I
purchased of copy of Donnelly's book and library just last week, but
am looking forward to putting the routines to good use.  I for one am
always interested in seeing code from others.  If I ever have the time
to put anything together I plan on reciprocating.

On a related note, what do people think of Sparcom's Personal
Information Manager card?  I like the basic package, but am
disappointed at the gaping holes in the provided functionality.
In particular, there doesn't seem to be any provision for cyclical
appointments, nor rescheduling appointments.