[comp.sys.handhelds] Real Computers

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/08/91)

In article <39888@cup.portal.com> jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) writes:
>Jeff E Mandel MD MS writes:
>,
>>Sharp/Casio/Psion/etc. Basically, these people are tired of having to read 50
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>postings a day about issues relating to the HP48.
>Since none of the above even come close to being computers (as opposed to
>having computers in them), perhaps their users should figure out what
>they are and start a group in some other heirarcy.

The Psion Organiser series are full computers, here is a list of commands
in the built in language, OPL.

functions
	abs, addr, asc, atan, cos, count, day, deg, disp, eof, err, exist,
	exp, find, flt, free, get, hour, iabs, int, intf, key, len, ln,
	loc, log, menu, minute, month, peekb, peekw, pi, pos, rad, recsize,
	rnd, second, sin, space, sqr, tan, usr, val, view, year

string functions
	chr$, datim$, dir$, err$, fix$, gen$, get$, hex$, key$, left$,
	lowers$, mid$, num$, right$, rept$, sci$, upper$, usr$

commands
	append, at, beep, break, close, cls, continue, copy, create, cursor
	on/off, delete, do/until, edit, erase, escape on/off, first, global,
	goto, if/elseif/else/endif, input, kstat, local, next, off, open,
	onerr, pause, pokeb, pokew,position, print/lprint, raise, randomize,
	rem, rename, return, stop, trap, update, use, while/endwh

Here is a sample function to calculate factorials from the manual:
fact:(n)
	if n=0
		return 1
	endif
	return n*fact:(n-1)

All functions including those user defined are callable from the
calculator mode.

Psion also makes available to anyone who asks, an MS-DOS based
assembler for the 6303X processor used in the Psion Organiser.

One of the biggest users of Psion hanhelds are corporations that use
them for custom applications.  They range from point of sale terminals
to remote data collection and analysis.

Printers, modems, barcode readers (the wand is HP's), mag card readers
and other devices are available that all plug into the top expansion
port.  The two side ports can hold from 8KB to 2MB of RAM or EPROM (the
Oraniser has a built in EPROM programmer) each.   Commercial software
includes a Lotus 123 compatible spreadsheet (Jaguar? what's that?), an
equation solver, enhanced scientific functions library, a spell checker,
various databases, and word processors.

The Psion archive that I maintain has over 300KB (compressed) of free
software with more to come from Psion BBSs in the US and Europe.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

akcs.kevin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kevin Jessup) (03/08/91)

I propose one additional group...