[comp.sys.handhelds] New proposal for CFD

spell@thebeach.UUCP (chris spell) (03/07/91)

Let me start out by saying that I am an avid hp48sx user.
I don't want the split to occur as it is being suggested by
mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu, who I think is interested primarily
in moving the hp48 out of comp.sys.handhelds.  This opportunity
should be used to satisfy the needs of hp48 users.

So, I would like to propose two groups, as follows.

We really do need a separate group for the hp48sx, but I agree
that the hp48sx will someday be obsolete.  Therefore, I am not really
concerned with what the group is called.  But what I'm concerned
with is the fact that we _REALLY_ need a moderated newsgroup
that can carry sources and informational postings.  This
moderated group can carry things like the processor notes, FAQ,
source, and any other substantial postings with useful info.
The moderated group would have a standard set of headers so
that the Unix rkive program will be able to automatically
archive each article.  The group will have to have a quick
turnaround time, say one day or less.  Any questions someone
might have but doesn't feel comfortable posting could be sent
to the moderator for a fairly quick response.

The second group can be for free discussion, no moderation.
The moderator can be responsible for posting digests of useful
discussion from this second group.

Considering the imminent release of a DOS based handheld by HP
and the possibility of new calculators compatible with the hp48,
I would name the two groups:

	comp.sys.hpcalc		(moderated:   source, informative postings)
	comp.sys.hpcalc.d	(unmoderated: general discussion)

I will volunteer to be the moderator unless someone else out
there would like the job.  I am in the process of setting up an
archive which will be available to everyone via anon ftp and a
few other methods.

HP users, please send me a message!  If you do not hear from me
within a day, please resend the message.  I will respond to each and
every message I get.  I will then post a summary of what everyone
thinks.  If the majority of the hp users do not support this, then that
will be the end of it.  The upcoming vote will fail and we can get back
normal.

For the people on the mailing lists, don't worry.  If no-one
else out there gateways the list over to a mailing list, I'll
create a mailing list or some sort of gateway.

Please report your feelings on this to both myself and
mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu, and vote accordingly when the
various proposals are put to vote.

Chris
----
Thanks to Alonzo Gariepy (alonzo@microsoft) for his valuable
input.
----
|      spell@[ thebeach.uucp | uncw.uucp | ecsvax.uncecs.edu ]      |
|    {...,gatech,rutgers,decvax}!mcnc!ecsvax!uncw!thebeach!spell    |

uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) (03/08/91)

spell@thebeach.UUCP (chris spell) writes:

>[...]  This moderated group can carry things like the processor notes, FAQ,
>source, and any other substantial postings with useful info.

_Is_ there a FAQ list for the HP48sx?  If so, could someone please either
repost or mail it to me?  Thanks.

--
Craig L. Stodolenak           "Without change, something sleeps inside us and
mixcom!craig%uunet.uu.net      seldom awakens."

spell@thebeach.UUCP (Chris Spell) (03/09/91)

After further consideration it seems that the best choice for
the name of the new newsgroups should be:

comp.sys.hp48     (moderated:   source, informative postings)
comp.sys.hp48.d   (unmoderated: general discussion)

After all, what we are trying to accomplish is a discussion group
for the hp48sx.  So let's not beat around the bush.  The 48sx
will be around for some time to come and is worthy of its own
newsgroup.

Let's all get behind this and vote yes for this proposal.  Alonzo
Gariepy, Jeff E. Mandel and I have been working together to come up with
this proposal and we are all in agreement on it.

The last consideration (that I know of) is the people who are on
mailing lists and other gateways.  It is not anyone's goal to exclude
these people and I want to do everything I can to make sure these
people are not excluded.  If necessary, I can gateway the new
newsgroups (assuming they pass) to the users adversely affected by the
switch over.  Anyone affected by this please let me know what needs to
be done to fix your problem.  I'm sure something can be worked out.

Chris
spell@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

matt@physics20.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) (03/09/91)

In article <716@thebeach.UUCP> spell@thebeach.UUCP (Chris Spell) writes:

> After further consideration it seems that the best choice for
> the name of the new newsgroups should be:
>
> comp.sys.hp48     (moderated:   source, informative postings)
> comp.sys.hp48.d   (unmoderated: general discussion)

The trouble with a moderated newsgroup is that moderation is
time-consuming and difficult.  Unless you are volunteering to be the
moderator, you probably should not propose that the group be
moderated.
--
Matthew Austern                   Just keep yelling until you attract a
(415) 644-2618                    crowd, then a constituency, a movement, a