[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 48SX Rom REV F -- nope!

sternlie@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Paul E. Sternlieb) (03/06/91)

Hi!
Well, I just called HP Calculator Tech Support in Corvallis and asked
about upgrades to a REV F.  The technicican told me that he has
never heard of a REF F and that the latest REV is REV E.
Also, I asked about what I would have to do to upgrade to REV F
if it ever *is* released (most likely).  Well, again, he told me
latest REV was E and that if a REV F came out, it wouldn't be a
total recall.  To upgrade you would have to do it on 1:1 basis.
You would have to call and explain what the bugs are and why
they would affect what you were doing....
He said you would have to explain, etc.
So, I think that they're sort of cracking down on these upgrades.
Anyway, sorry to ruin your party, but that's just what
Corvallis tells me!
Thanks.

--
    _____
   /     /                 /

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (03/06/91)

In article <38784@netnews.upenn.edu> sternlie@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Paul E. Sternlieb) writes:
>So, I think that they're sort of cracking down on these upgrades.
>Anyway, sorry to ruin your party, but that's just what
>Corvallis tells me!
That is what Calc support tells you.  That is not what Mary Hornbergerm, who
handles upgrades, has been implying.  As for them cracking down on this upgrade
thing, I agree fully, and that is why I believe that is why that are telling
you that there is no Version F even though products from HP for the 48 are
saying that they came from a Version F machine.  They are probably a bit fed up
with the whole thing and are not anxious to debate whether you should have an E
of F.  I suspect that they will get rid of every last E they can probably
hoping that they upgrade offer will be over by then.  Then they will release
the F.
    I am not going to complain and I am not going to call hp.  I will probably
sell me E and buy the F but that doesn't bother me at all.  Remember when
someone asked how many would be willing to spend $50 to upgrade...?

We'll see.

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar6.020835.23879@csn.org>, frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU
(-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

[about confusion in regard to whether or not there is a revision F, and HP's
position]

>    I am not going to complain and I am not going to call hp.  I will probably
>sell me E and buy the F but that doesn't bother me at all.  Remember when
>someone asked how many would be willing to spend $50 to upgrade...?

If there is a Revision F, I hope HP lets us know, particularly if the Equation
Writer has been made faster and there are other improvements.  I had a 28C and
bought the 28S when it came out, giving me one at home and one at the office.
Now I have the 48 at the office and the 28S at home . . . and I find when I use
the 28S that I really notice the lack of 48 features or the different
arrangement of the keyboard and functions/menus.  So I would definitely consider
buying a second 48SX.  (And I'm thinking of donating the 28S to a high school to
be given to a student on the math team or something.)

I'd like to point out that the awkwardness I now find on the 28S is a tribute to
HP.   The fact that the 48 "fits" so much better shows that HP has done an
excellent job in adjusting the interface and adding useful features.  And
considering the 28 was so much of a revolution in calculators itself, to improve
it so much to get the 48 is impressive.

				-- edp (Eric Postpischil)
				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
				edp@jareth.enet.dec.com

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (03/07/91)

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>I suspect that they will get rid of every last E they can probably
>hoping that they upgrade offer will be over by then.

I've seen several requests for info about the upgrade, with no response.  I
would imagine this information was mailed to the requestors.  I'm not
immediately concerned with upgrading, although I do have a Rev. A.   However,
once summer break starts, I will send in my calculator.  I was not under
the impression that the upgrade offer was for a limited time.

Could someone _POST_ full details regarding the upgrade?
--

  "This special edition of The Gulf War will continue after these messages."
                                                                    -ABC

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (03/07/91)

paul> So, I think that they're sort of cracking down on these upgrades.
paul> Anyway, sorry to ruin your party, but that's just what
paul> Corvallis tells me!

I'm innocent, gang!  I didn't tell them to do it!

ian> Remember when
ian> someone asked how many would be willing to spend $50 to upgrade...?

ian> We'll see.

:-) Now, *that's* funny!  Thanks, Ian!

-- Ray

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (03/07/91)

Ian!!!!   You mention that products from HP are from F version 48's.

Which products, specifically???   Now you got me all excited...

--  Joseph K. Horn  --  Peripheral Vision, Ltd.  --

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (03/08/91)

In article <7360088@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>:-) Now, *that's* funny!  Thanks, Ian!

What's funny?  You don't believe I would be willing to spend $50 to upgrade?  I
have dumped enought money into this calc already, what's another $50 out of
$300 First calc, $150 CMT 128K RAM card, $150 HP 128K RAM card, $25 SC 32K RAM
card, and coming up in a week or two my order for the EE card will go through
at $98.  $50 is pidley.  If that is not what you were refering to, then what
was it?

>-- Ray

	ian

In article <27d60d7a:2322.3comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) writes:
>Which products, specifically???   Now you got me all excited...
Look back through the posts for the last week or so.  In fact, look at the
first article with Version F in the topic.  Somone said they got a Library or
something like that from hp that had an HPHP-F at the beginning of the
binary.  That usually indicates version if you ask me.

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (03/11/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (Ian Frechett) writes:

>In article <7360088@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>>:-) Now, *that's* funny!  Thanks, Ian!

>What's funny?  You don't believe I would be willing to spend $50 to upgrade?  I
>have dumped enought money into this calc already, what's another $50 out of
>$300 First calc, $150 CMT 128K RAM card, $150 HP 128K RAM card, $25 SC 32K RAM
>card, and coming up in a week or two my order for the EE card will go through
>at $98.  $50 is pidley.  If that is not what you were refering to, then what
>was it?
>>
>>-- Ray
>

	>ian

No, no, it was the "we'll see" response you gave your own question.  I wasn't
cutting you down or anything.  Your question was loaded, and your response,
whether or not you intended it so, was hilarious.  I'm in total agreement with
you on your point about $50 being nothing compared with what you've already
invested in your 48, and I admire your grip on reality and your willingness to
support an upgrade fee.

HONKIN' MONSTROUS DISCLAIMER HERE:  Upgrades are *FREE*!  Ian and I are
talking about a theoretical "upgrade fee" -- to my knowledge, HP hasn't
initiated such a fee.  Don't ask me whether they will; I don't work in
Corvallis.  And don't go starting any rumors.

It would appear that CU students don't have a sense of humor, either.  Move
over, Stanford.

Best regards (really)
Ray
HP, Fort Collins, Colorado
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (03/11/91)

In article <7360089@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>It would appear that CU students don't have a sense of humor, either.  Move
>over, Stanford.
Heh!!!.. don't compare use to Stanford.  I think they are a bit out of our
class when it comes to humorless people.  ;)  I have in fact a fair sense of
humor, but it doesn't always show.  Must be all the lets split the group talk
is making me a bit crazy.

	ian