[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX Plug in Card Pinouts

garyf@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Gary Friedman) (03/14/91)

In article <5397@male.EBay.Sun.COM> wag@georwell.EBay.Sun.COM (Rick Wagoner) writes:

>Does anyone have a pinout for the Plug in cards for the
>'48 (IE the Equation card, 41 Emulator)?

I just happen to have a copy here.  The document is titled "HP48SX
Expansion Port - Technical Guide and Specification", dated November
12, 1990.

When looking at the card contacts, pin one is on the right:

PIN #	Signal  I/O	Description
1	VDD	PI	Power
2	VBB	O	Card battery check.  If VBB is low then 48SX
			will signal 'low battery'.
3	A0	I	Pins 3-19, 31, and 32 are the address lines.  (Pin
			32 is inverted.)  My guess is the 20th address
			line is actually the Card Enable (pin 21)
			input in disguise.
4	A1	I
5	A2	I
6	A3	I
7	A4	I
8	A5	I
9 	A6	I
10	A7	I
11	A8	I
12	A9	I
13	A10	I
14 	A11	I
15	A12	I
16	A13	I
17	A14	I
18	A15	I
19	A16	I
20	NWE	I	Not write enable
21	CE	I	Card Enable
22	NOE	I	Not output enable
23	D0	I/O	Pins 23-30 are the eight data lines.
24	D1	I/O
25	D2	I/O
26	D3	I/O
27	D4	I/O
28	D5	I/O
29	D6	I/O
30	D7	I/O
31	A17	I
32	NA18	I	A18 is inverted (negative logic)
33	XSCL	I	Display data clock
34	LP	I	Display data horizontal sync
35	LD[0]	I	Display data
36	LD[1]	I	Display data
37	CDT	O	Card detect/type, must be tied high for writes
			to operate.
38	NC		No connection.
39	NC
40	GND	PI	Ground

The CDT pin (37) helps the 48 determine which of the following four valid
states applies:

1) Empty - The CDT pin is open (Hi Z).

2) ROM - The CDT pin is low.  All write operations are disabled.

3) RAM - The CDT pin is high and the card passes the RAM size test.

4) UNKNOWN DEVICE - The CDT pin is high and the card fails the RAM
size test.  User-level reads and writes are disabled (as if nothing
were present) but machine level reads and writes work.

Lines 33-36 are responsible for those overhead projector thingys
(that's the technical term) which frame grab the 48's display and
uses the bitmap for its own purposes.  The data is two serial bit
streams in sync with the shift clock XSCL.  A pulse on the LP signal
provides horizontal sync information.  The 131 columns of display data
for a particular row are contained in the 64 shifts before each LP
pulse and the 2 shifts immediately following the LP.  The left-most
column of data is output first.  There is no vertical sync.

*Whew!*

						-Gary Friedman

Gary Friedman                   Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA.  91109        (818) 354-1447
garyf@puente.JPL.NASA.GOV || {cit-vax,elroy,psivax}!devvax!garyf
Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
Subject: Re: HP48SX Plug in Card Pin outs and a question