[comp.sys.handhelds] RPN intuitive?

bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) (03/12/91)

In article <7645@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ahernsd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) writes:

   Also, to start a new topic: being used to RPN as I am, I find
   it frustrating to use a "normal" calculator and find myself
   constantly typing 1 = 2 + for example to add 1 and 2.  Am I the
   only one in the world who feels that RPN is the intuitively
   obvous way of doing things?

It not intuitively obvious at all, but once RPN is burned into the
fingers there is nothing more irritating than using an algebraic
calculator, having an intermediate step of a calculation in the
display and pressing 2 /, thus losing everything I've done so far.

- Bob

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (03/12/91)

In article <BOB.91Mar11161503@dolores.Stanford.EDU> bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) writes:
>In article <7645@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ahernsd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) writes:
>   only one in the world who feels that RPN is the intuitively
>   obvous way of doing things?
>
>It not intuitively obvious at all, but once RPN is burned into the
You don't think that RPN is intuitively obvious.. Think about the way that you
do operations on a piece of paper.  Do you arrange the numbers in some logical
format and then apply the operation to it?  Or do you look at the first number
only and then the operation and somehow apply that operation to the next number
which you don't know yet?  The latter is what normal algebraic calcs are really
trying to do.  Looking back on it, I find that it really isn't very easy to
think like that.. I found that when I used algebraic entry that I many times
have to write it all down on paper so that I don't get order of operations all
messed up.  Also consider that when you do work on a CASIO or some such that
you have either have to write down your scratch work alot, or make extensive
use of the ONE memory location so that you can use your results later.
On an RPN machine however, you can just leave your scratch work on the stack
and pick it out and use it whenever you want..
I think that it is much more intuitive.   It is how my brain works.  What would
you think if you were brought up on RPN and then switched over to an algebraic
calc?

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

In article <1991Mar12.014121.925@csn.org> frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

   In article <BOB.91Mar11161503@dolores.Stanford.EDU> bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) writes:
   >In article <7645@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ahernsd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) writes:
   >   only one in the world who feels that RPN is the intuitively
   >   obvous way of doing things?
   >
   >It not intuitively obvious at all, but once RPN is burned into the
   You don't think that RPN is intuitively obvious.. Think about the
   way that you do operations on a piece of paper.  Do you arrange the
   numbers in some logical format and then apply the operation to it?
   Or do you look at the first number only and then the operation and
   somehow apply that operation to the next number which you don't
   know yet?  The latter is what normal algebraic calcs are really
   trying to do.  Looking back on it, I find that it really isn't very
   easy to think like that.. I found that when I used algebraic entry
   that I many times have to write it all down on paper so that I
   don't get order of operations all messed up.  Also consider that
   when you do work on a CASIO or some such that
   you have either have to write down your scratch work alot, or make extensive
   use of the ONE memory location so that you can use your results later.
   On an RPN machine however, you can just leave your scratch work on the stack
   and pick it out and use it whenever you want..
   I think that it is much more intuitive.  It is how my brain works.
   What would you think if you were brought up on RPN and then
   switched over to an algebraic calc?

I failed to include the obligatory "your mileage may vary."  Oops.
Since I find it impossible to use algebraic calculators having used
RPN, I must grant the ability of RPN patterns to displace algebraic,
but in my pre-HP days I certainly was able to get things done on an
algebraic calculator.  Either will work, depending on what one is used
to... Remember the older RPN calculators only displayed the x
register, and I see little difference between having to remember
what's on the stack and putting in all the silly parentheses required
by an algebraic calculator.  The 4 line display may be the single most
useful innovation introduced in the 28.

- Bob

alan@ukpoit.co.uk (Alan Barclay) (03/13/91)

In article <BOB.91Mar11161503@dolores.Stanford.EDU> bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) writes:
>In article <7645@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ahernsd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) writes:
>
>   only one in the world who feels that RPN is the intuitively
>   obvous way of doing things?
>
>It not intuitively obvious at all, but once RPN is burned into the

I would say the both systems are equally obvious, it's just that
we are used to one system or another, after all if someone asks
you to 'take 3 and 4 and add them' it's obvious what he wants to
do. Equally 'Take 3 and add it to 4'.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/14/91)

	Good old accountants' adding machines (the mechanical types, anyway)
are RPN (or at least a subset thereof).  To add 45, 12, and 109, you do: 45,
enter, 12 plus, 109 plus.  There is an equal key (usually labeled "total"),
but it doesn't actually perform any operation, it just shows you the last
result, which is typically stored away in some internal register (gear
bank?) and not printed on the paper tape by default.  OK, the "enter" after
the first number is actually a "+"; so think of the total key (from the last
operation) as "display x, 0, enter".
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (03/14/91)

In article <BOB.91Mar11202926@dolores.Stanford.EDU> bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) writes:

   Remember the older RPN calculators only displayed the x
   register, and I see little difference between having to remember
   what's on the stack and putting in all the silly parentheses required
   by an algebraic calculator.  The 4 line display may be the single most
   useful innovation introduced in the 28.

   - Bob

I have one of the oldest HP calculators, an HP 9100A.  It has
only a three-level stack, but displays all three stack registers.
There's even a small lighted sign next to the CRT that labels
each register:

---------------------------------------
| -8.888 888 888 -88 |  z temporary   |
| -8.888 888 888 -88 |  y accumulator |
| -8.888 888 888 -88 |  x keyboard    |
---------------------------------------

So a labeled multi-level stack display isn't THAT new.

The 9100A also has RPN a little different from its successors, in
that stack lift and stack drop are not automatic (although there
are keys for doing either).  All input goes into the x-register,
overwriting its original contents.  +, -, *, and / operate on x
and y and return the result to y, leaving x and z intact.  Most
functions of one argument operate on x and return a result to x,
except for |y| (now known as ABS), which takes the absolute value
of y and returns it to y.

The 9100A also has the original form of synthetic
programming--the program and data registers are not partitioned
so it is possible to make self-modifying programs.  Since the
9100A does not have subroutine calls, this was undoubtedly used
to advantage in some circumstances.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.