[comp.sys.handhelds] Hewlett-Packard LED's

nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) (03/14/91)

Does anyone know the wavelength of the IR LED's that the HP-48SX uses?
I'm guessing about 806-820 nm, but I'd greatly appreciate an answer from
someone who knows exactly.

Thanks in advance.

--
O-        /\
|\     /\/vv\

akcs.brentlz@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Brent Ellzey) (03/15/91)

An October 1987 HewlettPackard Journal article on the infrared link
suggests that the LED frequency is 940 nm.  This article goes on to say
that the "infrared link uses 32.768 kHz as the infrared modulation
frequency".  The article goes into further details of the infrared
coding, etc. that I truthfully don't fully understand( I'm an aerospace
engineering undergrad, not an EE :-)  See if your library has a copy.

Brent Ellzey  E10140197@ccit.arizona.edu

darrylo@hpnmdla.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (03/16/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) writes:

> Does anyone know the wavelength of the IR LED's that the HP-48SX uses?
> I'm guessing about 806-820 nm, but I'd greatly appreciate an answer from
> someone who knows exactly.

     I don't know the wavelength of that LED, but the "HP-48SX Technical
Interfacing Guide" contains a schematic that uses either the HP
HEMP-3301 or the NEC SE303A LEDs.  For the HP HEMT-3301 (which I assume
is the about the same as the HEMP-3301 -- or "HEMP" could also be a
typo), the specs are:

Ta=-40 deg C:	Spectral peak @ ~920nm (and is ~1.35 times that of the
					peak at Ta=25 deg C)
		50% of peak @ ~910nm & ~935nm

Ta=25 deg C:	Spectral peak @ 940nm
		50% of peak @ ~920nm & ~960nm

Ta=85 deg C:	Spectral peak @ ~955nm (and is ~0.65 times that of the
					peak at Ta=25 deg C)
		50% of peak @ ~930nm & ~980nm

Note that "Ta" = "ambient temperature".

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.