[comp.sys.handhelds] Memory card insertion and extraction

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (02/05/91)

****** HP48SX ******

I would like to know if it is possible to merge a memory card, put some
programs on it, remove it, insert a ROM card, use it for a minute,
remove it, insert your memory card again, and have it still merged
with the rest of your memory.  Is this possible?  I plan on getting a
couple of ROM cards and at least 1 128K card, but I can see that I
might want to use 2 ROM cards at once for some reason.

Thanks in advance,

+------------
+------------------------------------------------------------

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/16/91)

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) writes:

>****** HP48SX ******
>
>I would like to know if it is possible to merge a memory card, put some
>programs on it, remove it, insert a ROM card, use it for a minute,
>remove it, insert your memory card again, and have it still merged

I don't see this happening - if you try it you will find the 48 immediately
has trouble finding the merged RAM, and will prompt you to insert the RAM card,
until you FREE said RAM....   These are my observations from messing with it.

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

akcs.davemarsh@hpcvbbs.UUCP (DAVID J. MARSH) (03/16/91)

unfortunately, as mentioned previously, it can't be done...
There are several reasons for this, first and foremost among them that
some of your global variables might be half on the card, and half in main
memory.  Also, the system has a status table in memory that contains
card status info- it is updated every time there is an insertion or
removal of a card.  If you try to remove a merged RAM card, you will
be very lucky to not cause complete memory corruption and loss.

Dave Marsh