[comp.sys.handhelds] CFV: comp.sys.hp48 moderated and comp.sys.hp48.d

spell@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Chris Spell) (03/15/91)

CALL FOR VOTES:

comp.sys.hp48      (moderated: source, informative postings)
comp.sys.hp48.d    (unmoderated: general discussion)

Charter for comp.sys.hp48:

The purpose of this moderated group is to allow uniform source
postings, informative postings, summaries of interesting threads in
comp.sys.hp48.d, and anything in general that is worth archiving.
Each posting will have a standard rkive(1) header to permit automatic
archiving of the articles posted.  Everything of value from
comp.sys.hp48.d will appear in comp.sys.hp48 in some form; one could
read comp.sys.hp48 alone and be assured of missing nothing of
significance.  This will also eliminate saving all the articles of a
particular thread, as it will ultimately appear condensed in
comp.sys.hp48.

The moderator will be responsible for posting all articles in timely
fashion.  The moderator will attempt to test all source before
posting, and review such postings as time permits.  Source will be
posted in asc format, uuencoded if necessary, and rpl or assembly when
available. While every effort will be made to ensure submissions
represent functional code, there is, of course, no guarantee of
function or suitability for purpose by the moderator.

The moderator will maintain a frequently asked questions list which
will be posted on a regular basis.  The moderator will attempt to
handle simple questions by mail, except when answers are deemed
sufficiently useful to the group to be included in the digest.  This
should reduce the volume of such questions in comp.sys.hp48.d, and
afford people who might feel uncomfortable about posting a "stupid
question" a measure of flame-retardance.

The position of moderator will be held by Chris Spell until such time
as he wishes to name a successor.

Charter for comp.sys.hp48.d:

This unmoderated group is for general discussions.  Anything
permissible within the rules of net etiquette may be posted here
pertaining to the hp48sx or such systems sufficiently similar as to
warrant the interest of hp48sx users.

Voting period:

The voting will officially start with the appearance of this message
in news.announce.newgroups and end 12:00am EST April 11, 1991.  This
should allow approximately 25 days for the vote to take place.

Voting rules:

All votes must be sent to handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu.  The subject
line should include:

        I vote YES for comp.sys.hp48[.d]
        or
        I vote NO to comp.sys.hp48[.d]

This account will only be active for the duration of the voting
period; rejection by the mailer should be considered evidence that
your vote was not cast during the voting period.  Votes posted to the
group, mailed to accounts other than handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu,
telephoned, sent by US mail, fax, or SCUD missile cannot and will not
be counted.  Ambiguous votes will not be counted.

Voters should check the weekly update message to make sure your name
appears as having been counted.  If you do not see your name, please
resend your vote. Votes will not be counted twice.  All votes are
subject to verification.

Sponsors:

        Chris Spell, Alonzo Gariepy, Jeff E Mandel

|      spell@[ thebeach.uucp | uncw.uucp | ecsvax.uncecs.edu ]      |
|    {...,gatech,rutgers,decvax}!mcnc!ecsvax!uncw!thebeach!spell    |

rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (03/16/91)

In article <-6%=NK-@rpi.edu> handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu writes:
>CALL FOR VOTES:
>
>comp.sys.hp48      (moderated: source, informative postings)
>comp.sys.hp48.d    (unmoderated: general discussion)

I urge everyone to vote no for this proposal.

1) there has been no discussion about this proposal in news groups and I
do not remember a RFD for a moderated group in news.announce.newgroups. If
someone wants a group, follow the guidelines which include a discussion of
the name and moderation status in news groups.

2) I oppose the moderation aspect. There is no need to moderate the group.
Almost all other news groups in the comp.sys tree are unmoderated, this one
should be

3) There is no need for a separate discussion group.

I would like to have the proponents of the proposal withdraw this premature
CFV and issue a real RFD [Request for Discussion] as the guidelines require.

--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (03/16/91)

In article <4720@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) writes:
>In article <-6%=NK-@rpi.edu> handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu writes:
>>CALL FOR VOTES:
>>
>>comp.sys.hp48      (moderated: source, informative postings)
>>comp.sys.hp48.d    (unmoderated: general discussion)

>I urge everyone to vote no for this proposal.

>1) there has been no discussion about this proposal in news groups and I
>do not remember a RFD for a moderated group in news.announce.newgroups. If
>someone wants a group, follow the guidelines which include a discussion of
>the name and moderation status in news groups.

There was a CFD issued in news.groups (or, at least in
news.announce.newgroups) in excess of two weeks ago.  The original CFD
was crossposted to comp.sys.handhelds.  Almost all of the ensuing
discussion has taken place in comp.sys.handhelds, with only a few
articles being crossposted to news.groups.  The discussion in
comp.sys.handhelds has been extensive (and heated at times.)  The
"consensus" (if one can call it that) from the discussion has been to
create the above two newsgroups:  comp.sys.hp48, and comp.sys.hp48.d

The above two groups are being being suggested as a "splitoff" of
comp.sys.handhelds.  The hp48 is a "handheld" programmable
calculator, although it is much more powerful than what one considers
a typical programmable calculator to be -- in many ways it can be
considered to be a handheld computer.  In any case, the hp48 has
generated significant traffic in comp.sys.handhelds, drowning out
nearly everything else.  These two new groups are being voted on to
address this issue.

The structure that is being voted on has been extensively discussed in
comp.sys.handhelds -- the news users that are most directly concerned
with the issue.  If your site hasn't yet expired the original CFDs
posted to news.announce.newgroups, you will see the original CFD
there.  The fact that the discussion migrated to comp.sys.handhelds,
and that you missed the crossposts to news.groups could be because the
raging rec.music.christian discussion in news.groups drowned it out.

In much the same way as the c.s.h.hp48 discussion was overwhelmed by
r.m.c, hp48 discussions have drowned out other traffic in
comp.sys.handhelds.  To permit comp.sys.handhelds to once again become
a forum for "miscellaneous" handhelds, a vote for comp.sys.hp48 is
strongly encouraged.

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter

In article <1991Mar15.193522.21919@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:

>There was a CFD issued in news.groups (or, at least in
>news.announce.newgroups) in excess of two weeks ago.  The original CFD
>was crossposted to comp.sys.handhelds.  Almost all of the ensuing
>discussion has taken place in comp.sys.handhelds, with only a few
>articles being crossposted to news.groups.  The discussion in
>comp.sys.handhelds has been extensive (and heated at times.)  The
>"consensus" (if one can call it that) from the discussion has been to
>create the above two newsgroups:  comp.sys.hp48, and comp.sys.hp48.d

Yes, I remember that discussion and then it disappeared. Now we see a call
for vote on a topic which the net at large [or those who follow such things
in the appropriate news.groups] has had no input on. It has been blindly
presented to us and we are expected to vote on it. Wrong!

What you should have done us what the people in comp.sys.amiga did. They
had the discussion within their own news group and when they had reached
a [sort/of] consensus on what they wanted to do, a long Call for Discussion
was placed in news.announce.newgroups and additional discussion was held
with the rest of the interested parties. The Call for Vote was then issued
about a month later and it passed.

What you should do it cancel the CFV and put out a new RFD with a summary
of the discussion within comp.sys.handhelds. Then allow people who have
other interests to participate in the discussion. A blind CFV with no frame
of reference is a very bad mistake.

As I said, I believe that you probably have a case for splitting the group
but the specifics need to be discussed.
--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030

IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (David Holland IUGC500@INDYVAX) (03/17/91)

A point to be made to the guy who was complaining that the
split hadn't been discussed long enough on news.announce.newgroups
(or where ever he was saying it was supposed to be discussed.)

I'd like to know how we small peon's on the gateway would of been able
to follow that particular discussion?  I mean, I may of not said much
on the matter, but I did follow what was being discussed. So I think
in the long run it was better that it was discussed on the list, instead
of the "proper" group.

Also, was there ever any determination as to what would happen
to the people on the gateway?  I personally wouldn't mind being able
to get on both groups, if that's at all possible..

bye all

David Holland
IUGC500@INDYVAX (BITNET)
IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (INTERNET)