[comp.sys.handhelds] SHARP-PC1500 Machine Language?

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (03/13/91)

I have been using a SHARP PC-1500 for quite some time.  The standard
programming interface to the PC-1500 is the BASIC interpreter.  I was
curious as to whether or not assembly-language style programming is an
undocumented feature of the PC-1500, and if there is a manner of doing
"peek" and/or "poke" directly into memory to either acquire greater
performance, or to read things like the internal timer directly in a
numeric format rather than with the TIME$ operations.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter

tt@euler.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar12.213734.3226@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:

> I have been using a SHARP PC-1500 for quite some time.  The standard
> programming interface to the PC-1500 is the BASIC interpreter.  I was
> curious as to whether or not assembly-language style programming is an
> undocumented feature of the PC-1500, and if there is a manner of doing
> "peek" and/or "poke" directly into memory to either acquire greater
> performance, or to read things like the internal timer directly in a
> numeric format rather than with the TIME$ operations.

All of the above are possible.  A friend of mine used to have one of
those (probably still has, collecting dust in some closet).  There is
even an assembler programming manual for it, one of the most horrible
manuals I've ever seen but I did manage write a disassembler for the
beast with it, and my friend planned to complement it with an
assembler but never got around to it (he got a HP71 too soon) but he
did write some non-trivial assembler programs for it.
I don't remember the exact type of the processor but it was
an 8-bit processor somewhat resembling the 6502.
If you push me a bit I might ask if he still has those
papers left (he doesn't have net access at present).
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)