[comp.sys.handhelds] More Portfolio News and Rumors

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (03/20/91)

The latest news regarding the Portfolio is that apprently the list price
has been dropped to  $299.  The rumor aspect of this is that Atari may
markedly increase distribution through mass merchandisers, who tend to
discount, so if you don't mind buying a computer from someone who knows
_nothing_ about computers, you might be able to find a Portfolio for
$200-250 within a month or so.

My personal guess is that the price drop for the Portfolio with 128K is a
prelude to introducing a more expensive, 512K Portfolio.

By the way, thanks for the info on the Smith Corona cards.  They seem to be
a lot cheaper than Atari's cards!  I just love mass production and
competition...

- Laird

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.152350.16892@Think.COM> laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) writes:
>The latest news regarding the Portfolio is that apprently the list price
>has been dropped to  $299.

According to press releases I saw this is already official.

>My personal guess is that the price drop for the Portfolio with 128K is a
>prelude to introducing a more expensive, 512K Portfolio.

I think this would have happened at Cebit last week in Hannover, Germany.  I
didn't hear anything about it and I do have some european connections.  Could
be though.  I know some people internal to Atari have special models that
have 512K...

>By the way, thanks for the info on the Smith Corona cards.  They seem to be
>a lot cheaper than Atari's cards!  I just love mass production and
>competition...
>
>- Laird

Do the Smith Corona cards work in the Atari?  I hadn't read anything definite
about them...

I second your sentiment regarding mass production and competition...

Cheers,

BB