[comp.sys.handhelds] RAM cards

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (03/19/91)

OK, I'm starting to get tempted by cheap EPSON, Smith Corona type RAM cards.
Any good places to buy these? I'm up in Canada, so even if I could FIND them,
there'd still be an obscene amount of tax and markup on them. So where should
I get one. I don't feel like driving to Seattle, so Blaine would be ok,
or Bellingham,
or Point Roberts would be great.

jpm

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.104224@ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca writes:
>OK, I'm starting to get tempted by cheap EPSON, Smith Corona type RAM cards.
>Any good places to buy these? I'm up in Canada, so even if I could FIND them,
>there'd still be an obscene amount of tax and markup on them. So where should
>I get one. I don't feel like driving to Seattle, so Blaine would be ok,
>or Bellingham,
>or Point Roberts would be great.
>
>jpm

Up here, in Canada, you can get 32K smith corona cards for $32.  Thanks alot
to jcohen@scarecrow for your post.  I did the same thing.  I let my fingers do
some walking through the yellow pages under typewritters, and low and behold,
there were 3 Smith Corona dealers here in Ottawa.  I phoned up one, and asked
if they carried the smith-corona part number S75531 and amazingly enough they
said yes...WOW!

I went down to the store and got pretty much the same reaction as did jcohen
when I asked the guy if I could try one of the cards... the guy kind of looked
at me really strangely. After some explaining, I put the card in and got a low
battery card warning.  OOps.. forgot the battery.  After putting in the battery
I typed merge 1 and voila...52k memory--> obviously worked because the calc's
only got 32.

I was so happy I even bought 2 cards.  Tried the second card too and it worked
like a charm. Bumped up the memory to about 84k..can't remember.

After 8% provincial and 7% gst it came to $75.  Not bad. Not bad at
all considering HP sells their cards here at Wilson's and Compucenter
for about $100.  What a rip-off!  I could have bought 3 cards for
what HP sells theirs for. Would you believe the 128K HP ram card goes
for $320.  That's almost what I paid for the calc itself!  No flames, I'm
just a poor student trying to work my way through university.

You know, I even got to play with all those little toys under the memory menu
that you can't unless you got a card.  I'm tickled pink.  I even archived
my home directory on one of the cards, took the card out and put it back in.
Amazing. The archive was still there. I'm tickled pink.

Spread the good news.  This isn't a myth.  They do exist in CANADA.

P.S. jpm: If you can't find a smith-corona dealer in BC, here's the address for
the place I got mine. I doubt you need it, but here it is anyways. Let me here
how it works out.

Keith's Buisness Equipment Ltd.
2605 Carling Ave.
Ottawa, Ont.
Canada.
1-(613)-820-5200

b2676870@rick.cs.ubc.ca (wilson w ma) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.221048.7124@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:
>In article <1991Mar18.104224@ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca writes:
>>OK, I'm starting to get tempted by cheap EPSON, Smith Corona type RAM cards.
>>Any good places to buy these? I'm up in Canada, so even if I could FIND them,
>>there'd still be an obscene amount of tax and markup on them. So where should
>>I get one. I don't feel like driving to Seattle, so Blaine would be ok,
>>or Bellingham,
>>or Point Roberts would be great.
>>
>>jpm
>
>Up here, in Canada, you can get 32K smith corona cards for $32.  Thanks alot
>to jcohen@scarecrow for your post.  I did the same thing.  I let my fingers do
>some walking through the yellow pages under typewritters, and low and behold,
>there were 3 Smith Corona dealers here in Ottawa.  I phoned up one, and asked
>if they carried the smith-corona part number S75531 and amazingly enough they
>said yes...WOW!

I have a question: how do the Smith-Corona cards fit? I bought a Portfolio
over the weekend and bought some 32K RAM cards with it. I compare those to
my Equation Library card and they're the same size. But when I tried to
insert the RAM card into my 48sx, they don't seem to want to fit. I.e., there
was a lot of resistance. I did not persist since I didn't want to end up with
a 48sx with a broken slot. Anyways, I got the RAM card from A&B Sound for
$32.99. BTW, these Atari cards don't have the contacts covers as the HP cards.
Do the Smith Corona card have the cover?

George

U46837@UICVM.uic.edu (03/21/91)

Yes, the SMITH-CORONA cards do have a cover over the pins, as do all cards I
have come across that are produced by EPSON.  Apparently, EPSON has a patent on
the pin-protection covers.
                               EUG <u46837@uicvm>   :-)   :-)

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.035832.1506@soph.cs.ubc.ca> you write:
>In article <1991Mar19.221048.7124@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar18.104224@ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca writes:
>>>OK, I'm starting to get tempted by cheap EPSON, Smith Corona type RAM cards.
>>>Any good places to buy these? I'm up in Canada, so even if I could FIND them,
>>>there'd still be an obscene amount of tax and markup on them. So where should
>>>I get one. I don't feel like driving to Seattle, so Blaine would be ok,
>>>or Bellingham,
>>>or Point Roberts would be great.
>>>
>>>jpm
>>
>>Up here, in Canada, you can get 32K smith corona cards for $32.  Thanks alot
>>to jcohen@scarecrow for your post.  I did the same thing.  I let my fingers do
>>some walking through the yellow pages under typewritters, and low and behold,
>>there were 3 Smith Corona dealers here in Ottawa.  I phoned up one, and asked
>>if they carried the smith-corona part number S75531 and amazingly enough they
>>said yes...WOW!
>
>I have a question: how do the Smith-Corona cards fit? I bought a Portfolio
>over the weekend and bought some 32K RAM cards with it. I compare those to
>my Equation Library card and they're the same size. But when I tried to
>insert the RAM card into my 48sx, they don't seem to want to fit. I.e., there
>was a lot of resistance. I did not persist since I didn't want to end up with
>a 48sx with a broken slot. Anyways, I got the RAM card from A&B Sound for
>$32.99. BTW, these Atari cards don't have the contacts covers as the HP cards.
>Do the Smith Corona card have the cover?
>
>George

I didn't have much of a problem sliding the cards in mine.  There was a little
resistance, but nothing that I wouldn't expect out of the ordinary.

-Dave.