[comp.sys.handhelds] hp48 running faster with more RAM

peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) (03/22/91)

>From: nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols)
>
>Does extra RAM on the HP48sx make it run faster?

     Yes, it will. When the thing does garbage collects, they will take
longer, and the machine will appear at those times to be visually slower, but
it is overall faster. I have been working with a GROB compressor/decompressor
that I wrote. When I added a 128k RAM card to my system, the compressor,
as a benchmark, finished consistently faster. The GROB compressor is a good
test because it's very allocate/deallocate intensive and would require
lots of garbage collects. But with 128k, the GC wasn't necessary as often,
resulting in a net savings of time. BUT, don't expect phenomenal results
just by adding memory. For normal non-number-crunching programs, it
probably won't seem faster. It may in fact seem slower since small fast
programs mean lots of user interaction, and GC's will seem much longer.

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu