[comp.sys.handhelds] Casio BOSS / Sharp Wizard

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.172721.4545@netcom.COM> martin@netcom.COM (Martin Hall) writes:
>I would like to get either a Casion BOSS or Sharp Wizard?  Which one is
>better....Ability to pass info between a Mac or PC is a plus.  What do I
>need to look out for?

Have you considered any other machines?  The Psion Organiser II series
of machines are quite nice.  Current models have 20x4 line displays and
come with software comparable to the Casio and Sharp machines.  In
addition they have two sockets for EPROM and RAM expansion from 16K to
256K+ and an expansion port for serial adaptors (both MS-DOS and Mac
software), modems, printers, bar code readers and other devices.  These
machines also have a full programming language built in, making it easy
to write your own software or to get additional software.  There are
megabytes of free software available, or you can buy commercial
software which includes a Lotus 123 compatible spreadsheet, word
processors, and sophisticated database managers (the Organiser comes
with a built in free form database manager).

I own one of these machines myself, and run a mailing list for them.
There are also several BBSs around the world that support them as
well.  If you would like more information feel free to ask.

Another machine to consider is the HP-48sx with the Sparcom Information
Manager.  I'm less familiar with this machine.  You could try
posting to Comp.sys.handhelds for more information on this and
other handheld machines.

You can get more information on all kinds of handheld machines from
this list of vendors.  Ask for their catalogs and talk to their
technical support.

Company:	Personal Computing Tools
Work:		408-395-6600
Fax:		408-354-4260
Postal:		17419 Farley Road, Los Goatos CA 95030
Notes:          Psion dealer, scientific, data coltection,CAD, serial
ports, IBM hardware, software, tech support 800-767-6728

Company:	EduCALC
Work:		800-633-2252 x356 (orders),800-677-7001(customer service)
Fax:		714-582-1445
Postal:		27953 Cabot Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Notes:		Psion, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Cambridge Z88, Casio, Sharp

Company:	TPC
Work:		800-444-3199
Notes:		Atari Portfolio $379, Casio, Sharp

Company:	Elek-Tek
Work:		800-395-1000
Notes:		708-677-76600 technical assistance
Notes:		HP calculators,MS-DOS, Macintosh, IBM, Sharp Wizard, Casio BOSS

--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) (03/24/91)

jew@charon.sunquest.com (James E. Ward) writes:

I have a Wizard.. here's my experience

>I have a BOSS.  My friend has a Wizard.  I occasionally pass data to a PC.
>He doesn't.
I do fairly regular backups and
use the Wizard as an Ascii terminal sometimes when on the road..
I upload and download to the workstation at my office and to other systems..
>Mine has a qwerty keyboard, his doesn't (but I understand
>they have qwerty models).
Sure they do..
Your friend must have a Sharp 7X00, it's obsolete (still useful, but
superceeded by the Wizard 8X00 which is 40x8 display and QWERTY
The Casio display and keyboard was better in my opinion, than the
Sharp 7X00 but not as fine as the Sharp 8X00.

>The thing is, I find my CASIO data bank watch
>more usable and handy.  I carry the BOSS, but rely most heavily on the
>watch.  For my purposes, an expanded data bank watch would be more
>desireable.

I'm not touching that one.. I find my Wizard more useful..:->
Sorry, James :->
I really like being able to search for strings in names/addresses/phone numbers/
schedule items.., That would be a basic requirement in any organizer
that I would fine useful.
The QWERTY Casio was out before the QWERTY Wizard,
I really tried to use the Casio SF9000, but was turned off by the way
the firmware
handles daily schedules, I think the Wizard firmware is more usable.
I also have a Seiko Databank watch.. can't stand the way you have
to enter data.. so now it's just an alarm watch with alphanumeric reminders.

I suggest buying the Wizard OZ-8200 (unfortunately it costs
$400, full retail at Sharper Image, they have a monopoly for now),
if you don't think you need 128K of storage for schedules,
address/phone numbers and memos, the OZ-8000 (64K) is just fine
(J&R Music World for $299).  I am at 90% of 128K after cleaning up
just the other day.. it's amazing how much information one can collect
with a handheld.
If you don't care about the application/expansion cards
and larger display, buy the 5200 (64K) (About $179 , I think).
--
Doug Drye KD4NC