[comp.sys.handhelds] GO OS vs. Microsoft Pen Windows

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (03/16/91)

Just to get off the "let's split the newsgroup" track, and to offer a
non-HP48 discussion, I'm curious how people feel about the two
contending approaches to the notebook-computer-with-stylus-interface
that have arisen.

The first one out is the one from Go Corp. which uses a new operating
system that was specifically designed to exploit the stylus interface and
provide software with a stylus-oriented platform to work from.  I've heard
comments that this is a real nice operating system even without the stylus
features, and that the handwriting recognition is not bad.

The other one coming down the road is Microsoft's Pen Windows that's been
mentioned in the press.  The idea here is to provide hooks in Windows that
allows standard Windows (and even non-Windows) programs to get input from
the stylus without having to change the code to be stylus-aware.  Of course,
you will be able to change your code to make better use of the stylus if
you want.

The claimed advantage of each is the disadvantage of the other and these
are obvious: Go says that their system is better for good stylus operation
because it is specifically designed for it, but Pen Windows is an attempt
to twist Windows into something it wasn't designed to be.  Microsoft says
that their system is better because it immediately has tons of software
that will work with it, while Go's system has none.  Go says their system
will be easy to write for, Microsoft says users can write stylus-specific
code if they want that will be just as good as Go's.  And so forth.

Since Pen Windows will allow a user to write stylus-specific software
(instead of using the generic stylus interface layer provided), software
will eventually emerge that is more stylus-oriented than your basic Windows
application.  But, since Pen Windows isn't out yet, there is one comparison
nobody can make yet, and that is between a program written specifically
for Go's OS and one written specifically for Pen Windows.  Which one will
have the better stylus interaction (i.e., successfully using gestures and
symbols, and navigating with the stylus)?  And how will the handwriting
recognition compare?

So how do you feel about this?  A lot of us have thought about having a
Dynabook-type notebook computer with stylus interface - which would you
rather have: a system custom-built for the stylus but with sparse
applications in a new environment, or lots of applications in a familiar
environment (Windows) but each with possibly limited stylus functionality?

Disclaimer: I'm not involved in Pen Windows development, and it's not my
	    purpose to pass on any discussion to that group, nor have I
	    been asked to do so.  I'm just an innocent bystander who
	    happens to work here and who's sincerely interested in what
	    this audience thinks.

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (03/16/91)

From what I have read, Pen Windows will not include any handwriting recognition
software, forcing programmers to write their own. The article said that GO
*does* provide handwriting recognition, so programmers can concentrate on
program functionality. (The lowest-common-denominator principal of the Mac
and NeXT.)

Also, as far as I understand, Windows is a GUI bolted onto a basically
non-GUI DOS, and now they are bolting a pen-based interface onto this?
Sounds like a lot of kludging to me.

Last, if Pen Windows comes out and is easy a transition as MS would have you
believe, then a lot of people will be porting programs to it that were
not designed with a notebook/pen in mind. Sort-of like text-based applications
ported to Windows. GO programmers will start out with a notebook/pen culture
and way of thinking that will make their software better and more elegant.

(I am biased here, since I believe that Windows is a rip-off of the Mac,
quickly knocked off (until 3.0 anyhow) to preempt the better Mac GUI. Sounds
like Pen Windows is the same thing. Again, this is my bias, and we probably
don't want to argue this point as it really doesn't bear on the technical
question asked.  But you did ask for our opinions :-))
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

kamidon@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Keith Amidon) (03/19/91)

I am very interested in both the Microsoft and GO pen-based software.
My base of information on both of these is pretty small, consisting of
a BYTE article on PenPoint and a few news releases about the pen
adaptations for windows.  However, I am going to give my opinions anyway 8^)

First of all, I will admit that Microsoft has a real advantage in having
a lot of software ready to go.  With that statement, you probably figured
correctly that I will now explain why I like PenPoint better, and you're
right!  As a student,  I find the notebook metaphor around which the PenPoint
operating system's GUI is built to be absolutely superb.  I have dreams of
being able to sit in class, writing notes on a thin portable LCD screen,
and then being able to go home and reorganize and append my own incites into
them.  I can't imagine anything that could be less threatening to a
non-computer user (not that I am one, but anything that helps....).  On the
other-hand, while windows certainly is many times better than DOS for the
new user, I think it is significantly more complicated to get started with
than the descriptions I have seen of PenPoint.

Finally, I would like to end this post with a request for more information.
Does anyone know what GO's policy on using the system is going to be, how
it was implemented (i.e. is it mainly C code and portable, or pretty wired
into the 80x86 line), and any other information.  Is there a list of
companies which are planning on developing things for PenPoint.

Maybe I should dig up their address from byte........

                                                   Keith

----
kamidon@zip.eecs.umich.edu
--

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (03/19/91)

In article <31553@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Also, as far as I understand, Windows is a GUI bolted onto a basically
>non-GUI DOS, and now they are bolting a pen-based interface onto this?
>Sounds like a lot of kludging to me.
[more stuff deleted]
>(I am biased here, since I believe that Windows is a rip-off of the Mac,
>quickly knocked off (until 3.0 anyhow) to preempt the better Mac GUI. Sounds
>like Pen Windows is the same thing. Again, this is my bias, and we probably
>don't want to argue this point as it really doesn't bear on the technical
>question asked.  But you did ask for our opinions :-))

Boy do I ever agree with these comments...
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

stoppani@rust.zso.dec.com (Pete Stoppani) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.190012.11311@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, kamidon@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Keith Amidon) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
> right!  As a student,  I find the notebook metaphor around which the PenPoint
> operating system's GUI is built to be absolutely superb.  I have dreams of
> being able to sit in class, writing notes on a thin portable LCD screen,
> and then being able to go home and reorganize and append my own incites into
> them.  I can't imagine anything that could be less threatening to a
> [stuff deleted]

I pretty much feel the same as Keith.  The notebook metaphor is perfect
for my needs.  It seems like many of the basic applications (word processor,
appointment scheduler, drawing programs, communications program, etc) can
be seamlessly integrated into the notebook in a much more user-friendly
manner than Windows.  Small, pocket versions could easily replace day timers
and electronic personal organizers (sharp wizard and casio boss) because
of the ease of use, flexibility  and handwriting recognition capabilities.

As much as I would like to see GO's system become very popular (and
inexpensive :-) ) I'm certain that Microsoft's Pen Windows will be
the winner.  Mainly because, as has been mentioned, there is literally
a ton of software available for Windows based systems and because a lot
of companies have latched onto the Windows bandwagon.  It would be
financially difficult for such companies to port software to something
as different as GO's system.  It seems like the only way for GO's system
to become popular (software-wise) is if a lot of inovative and
ambitious startups make some really good software for PenPoint.

If computer history is any indication then Pen Windows will succeed even
if the PenPoint is the superior product.  In the past it has rarely been the
case that the best computer products are the most popular.  I won't mention
any names to avoid a flame war but I'm sure you can all think of examples
(they are probably staring you in the face right now!).

Anyway, I hope GO's system makes it; after all, there is no  reason
we can't have three successfull personal computer systems (Apple, GO, Windows).
Hmmm, I suppose I ought to include Unix :-)

I wonder what will be Apple's contribution to the pen-based computer
generation?

--
| Pete Stoppani          | stoppani@decwet.dec.com                   |
|  DECwest Engineering   | decwrl!fungus.enet!stoppani               |

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (03/19/91)

>I wonder what will be Apple's contribution to the pen-based computer
>generation?

Of course, rumors abound concerning Apple's notebook effort. I think I read
somewhere that Scully said something like, "We missed the laptop market, but
we intend to hit the notebook market hard." I have read that this effort might
include Sony hardware or a licensing of Mac OS to Sony.

Actually, Apple has fired the first shot in its Mac-based pen effort. I read
that some small company has come out with a Kanji pen pad, wherein a Japanese
user can write on the pad in Kanji, and get text as if typing at the keyboard.
I guess it is an ADB device, and looks to the Mac like a keyboard. Apple was
evidently really pushing this thing hard in Japan.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

akcs.briank@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Brian Korver) (03/21/91)

It seems to me a little early to discuss PenWindows.
 Seeing that Windows is not yet even a full
mouse-based GUI (the Mac has been since the
mid-80's).  What I mean is, how much
software currently running under Windows
really takes full advantage of the GUI
interface?  In fact, because Windows is slow,
many applications avoid using too much
WYSIWYG.  Without taking full advantage of
GUI, a pen-based computer is impossible.
Think about how often you type something
under Windows that you would click on with
the Mac (and the Mac is not the perfect
 system for a pen either because it
relies on the keyboard too much for a
keyboard-less computer).
Whatever, putting a pen-based interface over
Windows, over MS-DOS sounds too clunky
(and slow) to me.  I mean, it's a nice trick and
Microsoft will probably take over the market
due to sheer size, but it would be great if GO
could actually become successful.
-Brian Korver

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (03/21/91)

Andrew says that GO would be great for editing, but not for the original
entry of text.
Actually, it's the other way around.  Thw whole point of GO is not that
it is a standalone, all you have computer, but that you caould use
everywhere.  Even the smallest handhelds computers are not feasible to
use in many times.  Either you need a lap for the larger computers, or
the smaller ones that you can use like a real notebook, don't have good
keyboards.  On the other hand, since the GO computer is extremely light,
small and only requires a pen for entry, you can anywhere you would use a
notepad.  For example, I could take notes or do a checklist or something
lie that while I'm standing up with no problem at all.  That would be the
original entry.  Then, I would transfeer all the info to my real computer
and eidt, change, publish, whatever.
  I think that the best use of the GO computer would be the above, using
it like your notepad .  The software could even be put on a really small
computer.  The article I read talked about GO software on a minature
computer that you could put in your shirt pocket, just like a memo pad.
 The idea is that it gives you the simplicity of paper, with the
advantages of a computer, plus instant transfer capabilities to a large
computer.
  This is why I think that putting a Pen interface over a Windows
interface over a DOS interface is ridiculous.  In addition to being
really slow, there's not as much of a point.  I think Apple has the right
idea, becasue they would probablyu be making the real small computers,
which are the real notepad style computers.  There is no point in putting
a pen interface on a IBM PS/2 except to make it easier to use.   And the
IBM can't be made easy to use, while the MAc can't really be made much
more easier to use.  Well, the last sentece is probably not completely
true, but the point is that GO will revolutionize and get rid of
notepads, memo pads, etc.  w/o having that much of an effect on the large
computers, like the desktop variety.
   ---Falco
Personally, I want a GO!  Except..How can you play Tetris with a pen?

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Louis Koziarz) (03/21/91)

>Personally, I want a GO!  Except..How can you play Tetris with a pen?

How about using the pen to nudge/rotate the piece while it's falling, you can
also drag the piece down to the pile instead of letting it fall at it's
own pace.  Seems easy enough to learn...I dunno it just came to mind...

--
Louis Koziarz      University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign     *
                   koziarz@uiuc.edu                           * *

warren@jessica.stanford.edu (Mark Warren) (03/27/91)

   >Personally, I want a GO!  Except..How can you play Tetris with a pen?

Plug in the keyboard.

I'd like to see GO! win. It is 32-bit clean, supports lightweight threads,
is based on an object oriented model, extensible (you can replace any
class with your own class), and has a better user interface than
Windows (or the Mac for that matter!).  Furthermore, GO is pushing the
open standards idea.

After watching a GO demo and futzing with a protype for a bit
afterwards, I am convinced that GO is the computer of the future.

Mark

--
/^\/^\/^\   Mark Warren "You can even run GNUemacs under | Rains Box 12, Apt1D
\)/  /  / _	    /	 X-windows without paging if you | Stanford, CA  94305