[comp.sys.handhelds] ascii character size

gshin@eecs.wsu.edu (George Shin - TA 150) (03/26/91)

help! does anyone know of a way to shrink the size of the ascii characters
      in hp48sx?  i need to store a variable of text, it would really
      help if the characters can be displayed in a minimal size as
      possible and still be readable.

      thanks.....

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar26.012724.14621@eecs.wsu.edu>, gshin@eecs.wsu.edu
(George Shin - TA 150) writes:

>help! does anyone know of a way to shrink the size of the ascii characters
>      in hp48sx?  i need to store a variable of text, it would really
>      help if the characters can be displayed in a minimal size as
>      possible and still be readable.

The display size of character isn't associated with a variable -- a
variable that contains a string of character is just a string of
characters.  The characters in the variable don't have a particular
size.

When you want to display an object, whether it is a character string or
something else, the ->GROB command allows you to choose a size.  Put an
object, such as a character string in level 2 and a number 0, 1, 2, or 3
in level 1.  Then execute ->GROB and you will get a graphics object that
is a displayable representation of the object.  Size 1 is the smallest;
2 and 3 are medium and large, and 0 is the same as size 3 for objects
other than unit objects or algebraics.  For unit objects and algebraics,
0 causes ->GROB to return the display that the EquationWriter produces.

Note that the graphics object you get back may be too large to fit on
one screen.  You will need to display it in the scrollable graphics mode
or write a program to rearrange it to fit on one screen.

				-- edp (Eric Postpischil)
				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
				edp@jareth.enet.dec.com

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (03/27/91)

George Shin - TA 150 (gshin@eecs.wsu.edu) writes:
> help! does anyone know of a way to shrink the size of the ascii characters
>       in hp48sx?  i need to store a variable of text, it would really
>       help if the characters can be displayed in a minimal size as
>       possible and still be readable.

If you are controlling the output via a program, you can specify a small
font (font 1) to ->GROB to generate a GROB with text in a very small
font.  If you store that GROB in PICT and then use PVIEW to view it,
you will get what you want.  For an example, see the TODO program
posted earlier.

I don't know of any way to make the default stack display use a
smaller font.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

waterman@engg.ucalgary.ca (jason waterman) (03/27/91)

Hi there!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll try to help.

The standard characters on the stack are displayed in Large
Font (5x9). To display an object in a form smaller than the standard stack size,
you have several options.

First of all, you could use the DISP and FREEZE commands, to display
characters in medium font (5x7).  These commands are explained in the
Interactive Programs section of the Owner's Manual (Volume II).

The DISP command allows you to display up to 7 lines on the display.

Secondly, the ->GROB command could be used with the ->LCD command or GORr
command to place the text on the graphics screen.  This allows you to
display characters in Small font (3x5), but the disadvantage is that
you would have to have your program split up the text you want to display
into the proper number of characters per line and then determine where on
the graphics screen to place those lines, etc.  You get the idea.  This
could possibly slow your program down quite a bit, depending on how much
you wanted to display.

I think that I will write a program to do this within the next few days.
When it's finished, I'll post it.

By the way, the descriptions of the ->GROB and GOR commands can be found
in the Owner's Manual in the "More About Plotting and Graphics Objects"
section in Volume I.

Hope this helps.

Jason Waterman
The University of Calgary