[comp.sys.handhelds] cable end part number

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (03/23/91)

Does anybody know the part number for the HP48sx end of the cable?  I'm
trying to make my own.  I know about the rs232 connector (db25, mini8 din,
etc) (thanks Kingry Shane L.), but I was hoping someone would know of a
part number for the other connector for a large retail chain outlet like
Radio Shack or some other canadian distributor.

I'm going to head down to the store tonight and see what I come up with.
Cross my fingers...

Thanks in advance,
-Dave.

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.203837.6933@bigsur.uucp>, dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes...
>Does anybody know the part number for the HP48sx end of the cable?  I'm
>trying to make my own.  I know about the rs232 connector (db25, mini8 din,
>etc) (thanks Kingry Shane L.), but I was hoping someone would know of a
>part number for the other connector for a large retail chain outlet like
>Radio Shack or some other canadian distributor.
>
>I'm going to head down to the store tonight and see what I come up with.
>Cross my fingers...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>-Dave.

I found these little brass hollow tubes - very small.  To the best of my
analysis, there are the female part of a db25 connector.  You can buy
these pins, and puch them into the proper slot on the connector.  Anyway,
I solderd(sp) the four wires from my cable, one to each hollow pin.
Then, I pished all of the hollow pins onto the proper HP male pin, and
while theye were there, I brought out the handy dandy ZAP glue, and
glued all four female (hollow) pins together...  A friend of mine used
a glue gun.  The only thing that one should watch real
carefully is not to glue your newly made cable end on the pins to the
pins!! <grin>

             |----------glue these four female hollow pins together
------------=== --
------------=== --
------------=== --
------------=== --
        ^    ^   ^
Wire to |    |   |____HP male pins in calc
computer     |______female hollow pins

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.203837.6933@bigsur.uucp>, dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes...
>Does anybody know the part number for the HP48sx end of the cable?  I'm
>trying to make my own.  I know about the rs232 connector (db25, mini8 din,
>etc) (thanks Kingry Shane L.), but I was hoping someone would know of a
>part number for the other connector for a large retail chain outlet like
>Radio Shack or some other canadian distributor.

Some thorough checking of the Molex connector book revealed the following
part numbers:
	22-01-2041 (This is the connector body)
	08-50-0114 (These are the pins.  You need four, order five in
		case.)

These are not the exact replacements for the HP part, but they are very
close.  The pins on my 48 aren't bent at all with this connector.

>I'm going to head down to the store tonight and see what I come up with.
>Cross my fingers...

That's the big problem.  You haven't a snowball's chance in Texas of finding
these at Radio Shack.  I pulled some strings at a large parts distributor
to get ONE sampled to me.  Your mileage may vary.

>Thanks in advance,

Good luck.

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu

231b3618@fergvax.unl.edu (Ben Hollingsworth) (03/28/91)

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:

>Does anybody know the part number for the HP48sx end of the cable?  I'm
>trying to make my own.  I know about the rs232 connector (db25, mini8 din,
>etc) (thanks Kingry Shane L.), but I was hoping someone would know of a
>part number for the other connector for a large retail chain outlet like
>Radio Shack or some other canadian distributor.

Myself and a friend are also finding it impossible to find _anything_
that will connect to that wierd 4-pin serial port, whether it be a
single connector or a small, individual connector for each pin.  I'm
not about to pay $35 for the entire cable from HP, and am about to
resort to building an IR transmitter-receiver with a 9-pin jack that
I can just set my 48 in front of to comunicate with it.

We would love any information or ideas you can give us.

231b3618@fergvax.unl.edu
bills@typhoon.unl.edu
or this newsgroup

					Thanks,  Obi-Wan

     |\_/|
    \'o.0'/     AACK!  PTHAT!
    =(___)=

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) writes:

>I found these little brass hollow tubes - very small.  To the best of my
>analysis, there are the female part of a db25 connector.  You can buy
>these pins, and puch them into the proper slot on the connector.  Anyway,
>I solderd(sp) the four wires from my cable, one to each hollow pin.
>Then, I pished all of the hollow pins onto the proper HP male pin, and
>while theye were there, I brought out the handy dandy ZAP glue, and
>glued all four female (hollow) pins together...  A friend of mine used
>a glue gun.  The only thing that one should watch real
>carefully is not to glue your newly made cable end on the pins to the
>pins!! <grin>

>             |----------glue these four female hollow pins together
>------------=== --
>------------=== --
>------------=== --
>------------=== --
>        ^    ^   ^
>Wire to |    |   |____HP male pins in calc
>computer     |______female hollow pins

I had the same idea but was unable to find these little female tubes.
You said they may have come from a db25 connector:  does this mean
canibalizing a normal connector will work?

Getting anxious and impatient,
Obi-Wan

  |\_/|
 \'o.0'/      AACK!  PTHAT!