[comp.sys.handhelds] Casio BOSS - Using as a Terminal

cleveland@gold.gvg.tek.com (cleveland) (03/28/91)

If have seen some references in posting to the use
of the Casio BOSS as a terminal. Would someone
please inform us as to how this is done?

What does one do to the BOSS to put it in terminal mode?
Baud rate, parity, etc.?

Finally - how successful is this process? Does the size
and portability of the BOSS outweigh the disadvantage of
the small screen and miniscule keyboard?

I am interested in retrieving e-mail and accessing packet
bulleting boards while on the road. File transfer is of
little interest to me.

Any comments?

thanks,

Grover Cleveland, WT6P

The Grass Valley Group Inc.
Grass Valley, CA

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (03/28/91)

In article <2100@gold.gvg.tek.com> cleveland@gold.gvg.tek.com (cleveland) writes:

   If have seen some references in posting to the use
   of the Casio BOSS as a terminal. Would someone
   please inform us as to how this is done?

   What does one do to the BOSS to put it in terminal mode?
   Baud rate, parity, etc.?

I have had a BOSS for over a year now and although I like it quite a
bit as far as I know there is no way to use it as a terminal.  There
is a RS-232 interface for it but that is for uploading and downloading
to it.  If there is a way to use it as a terminal it is not documented
anywhere.

The data transfer protocol is similar to Intel Hex code and requires
some hand shaking to work.  You cannot even "dump" data with it
without special software at the other end.

If someone proves me wrong it would make a neat little terminal...

jv

Law of Stolen Flight: Only flame, and things with wings.
                      All the rest suffer stings.
 _____
|     | Johnathan Vail | n1dxg@tegra.com
|Tegra| (508) 663-7435 | N1DXG@448.625-(WorldNet)
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (03/28/91)

	Since I own a BOSS, it having a terminal mode is news to me. As far as
the documentation goes, there is no such thing.  What I suspect is
confusing people (those that don't own one, I presume), is that a BOSS
is capable of communications with a PC via a serial port. However, those
communications are VERY limited in scope. The purpose of them is to
allow you to up and down load the calendar, phone list, etc. in and out
of a special purpose program that resides on the PC.  The original
purpose of the serial port was to allow connecting two BOSSes together
so as to clone the info between them.

	/s/	Bob Gettys
		Casio BOSS SF-7500 owner

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (03/29/91)

In article <2100@gold.gvg.tek.com> cleveland@gold.gvg.tek.com (cleveland) writes:

>If have seen some references in posting to the use
>of the Casio BOSS as a terminal. Would someone
>please inform us as to how this is done?

[stuff deleted]

>I am interested in retrieving e-mail and accessing packet
>bulleting boards while on the road. File transfer is of
>little interest to me.
>
>Any comments?

I would recommend a handheld computer over something like the BOSS.  With
the Atari Portfolio listing for $299 and the NEC Ultralight (not sure if
that's the right brand...) selling in the DAK catalog for $699, there's not
much reason (IMHO) to try to hack a BOSS into being a terminal.  The PF is
a nice tiny machine, but the display and keyboard are both small.  I've
used one at 300 baud, and it's fine, but you can't keep up with 1200 on a
screen that small (about the same as the BOSS' screen).  If you're going to
be doing "serious" telecommunicating, I'd recommend the NEC, since it has a
full sized screen and a larger keyboard.  It won't fit in your shirt
pocket, but it's still quite portable.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.201555.27035@Think.COM> laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) writes:
>In article <2100@gold.gvg.tek.com> cleveland@gold.gvg.tek.com (cleveland) writes:
>>If have seen some references in posting to the use
>>of the Casio BOSS as a terminal. Would someone
>>please inform us as to how this is done?
>>
>used one at 300 baud, and it's fine, but you can't keep up with 1200 on a
>screen that small (about the same as the BOSS' screen).  If you're going to
>be doing "serious" telecommunicating, I'd recommend the NEC, since it has a
>full sized screen and a larger keyboard.  It won't fit in your shirt
>pocket, but it's still quite portable.

Certain Sharp handheld electronic organizers do have a terminal mode in
them.  Software is being sold for the Casio on floppy that you just
download via the serial interface.  It would seem to be possible to
write a terminal program for a Casio as well.

I have a Psion Organiser myself, and have found the terminal mode quite
useful at times.  There's a big difference between a machine that fits
in a front shirt pocket and one that fits in a briefcase (providing you
have or want one).
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony