[comp.sys.handhelds] Looking for HP-75 DataComm Pac

louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) (03/28/91)

I have need of software to link an HP-75 to another computer throught the
HP-IL/RS232 converter (82164A) that will make the 75 act as a dumb terminal.
I believe that the DataComm Pac for the 75 would allow this.

Does anyone have one that I might purchase?

Thanks,

John W. Loux
Solve and Integrate Corp.
john@solvint.UUCP
louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (03/28/91)

louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:
>I have need of software to link an HP-75 to another computer throught the
>HP-IL/RS232 converter (82164A) that will make the 75 act as a dumb terminal.
>I believe that the DataComm Pac for the 75 would allow this.
As a reference I should mention that I believe that HP handhelds are
excellent products and that many of the plug in modules for them are
superb (41 timer, 41 plotter, 71 math, 75 VisiCalc, etc).   Others
range through superb, very good, mediocre, very good except for a
crippling flaw (71 curve fit can't save results to a file) and on
down the scale.   But two modules stand out as absolute dogs: the data comm
modules for the 71 and 75.   They were obviously ported from some mainframe
or minicomputer comm package and performance is abysmal.   Characters are
read by an interupt driven machine language routine which has much lower
throughput than a simple inner loop written in Basic.   The main driver
has an inner loop of massive spaghetti code with lots of tests and
branches.   The manual recommends 300 baud over 1200 but doesn't mention
that it is because thoughput is lower at 1200 baud than 300.
Everyone that I know that got one was massively disappointed and wished
someone had warned them about it.   I am not sure it is possible to
convey just how bad this module is.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com

bob@teda.UUCP (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar27.203200.18973@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>,
louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:

|>I have need of software to link an HP-75 to another computer throught the
|>HP-IL/RS232 converter (82164A) that will make the 75 act as a dumb terminal.
|>I believe that the DataComm Pac for the 75 would allow this.

|>John W. Loux
|>Solve and Integrate Corp.

  Aren't there already a couple of packages for just this purpose in the
Solve and Integrate (formerly the HP Users' Group) library ?   The
slickest one required a PMS, which is probably unacceptable to you.
But I remember at least one more..

Bob Armstrong