[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-48 misfeatures

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (03/30/91)

   I'm not claiming the behavior described here are bugs, but rather
misfeatures as they really don't break anything.

---

Press VAR
Press LIBRARY
Press MEMORY

   Press LAST MENU; notice you end up in the VAR menu, not the LIBRARY
menu as one might expect.

---

Store a library in port 0. Attach it to the current directory.

Put the library ID (:port:lib) on the stack, DUP it.

Press MEMORY, enter { DETACH }, press PRG OBJ OBJ-> DROP.
On the stack you will have the ID twice and the command DETACH
on level 1.

Go to the LIBRARY menu, then to the library just attached.
Press EVAL. This will DETACH the library.

No change in the menu.

Press PURGE. This will remove the library from the port.

No change in the menu.

Press on of the menu keys, you get an "Undefined XLIB name" error.

   One would expect the menu to blank out when the library is
detached. The LIBRARY menu is appropriately updated.

---

   I haven't seen these two misfeatures described on the net
previously - apologies if I'm beating a dead horse. I have a rev D, I
wonder if this is changed in rev E.

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu

justice@dao.nrc.ca (Gerald Justice) (03/30/91)

I have a rev E calculator and the LAST MENU "oddity" is there also.

Gerald Justice
justice@dao.nrc.ca

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (04/02/91)

--
In article <14452@life.ai.mit.edu>, bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan
Brittenson) writes:

> . . .
>   Press LAST MENU; notice you end up in the VAR menu, not the LIBRARY
>menu as one might expect.

Owner's Manual, page 57:  "Pressing [right-shift] LAST MENU (found over
the 3 key) returns you to that menu.  Menus of menus (such as the MTH
menu) aren't stored as the last menu.

The LIBRARY menu is a menu of menus, so it is not stored as the last menu.

>   One would expect the menu to blank out when the library is
>detached. The LIBRARY menu is appropriately updated.

When you press LIBRARY, the menu is created and stored as a temporary
menu.  This remains the menu until something causes it to be updated,
such as pressing LIBRARY again.  Similar effects can be seen by doing
certain things with the Solver or TMENU.

				-- edp (Eric Postpischil)
				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
				edp@jareth.enet.dec.com

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (04/02/91)

Jan Brittenson writes:

>    I'm not claiming the behavior described here are bugs, but rather
> misfeatures as they really don't break anything.
>
> Press VAR
> Press LIBRARY
> Press MEMORY
>
>    Press LAST MENU; notice you end up in the VAR menu, not the
> LIBRARY menu as one might expect.

This SHOULD be expected.  LAST MENU never retrieves the menus that
consist of only submenus, viz. MTH (menu 3), PRG (menu 10), LIBRARY
(menu 24), and UNITS (menu 42).  This is described in the manual, btw.

They went to special effort to add this feature.  Good thing, too.  It
lets you flipflop between, say, the UNITS TEMP menu and the EQ UTILS
(library 268) menu with one keystroke (LAST MENU).  Couldn't otherwise,
except by using the MENU command, which would detour the user-
friendliness of the LAST MENU key.

--  Joseph K. Horn  --  Peripheral Vision, Ltd.  --