[comp.sys.handhelds] Jim Donnely's book.

ervin@pinbot.enet.dec.com (Joseph James Ervin) (04/02/91)

Hello all,

I am curious as to who has a copy of Jim Donnely's HP48sx handbook.  My main
question is whether you found it useful.  In my continuing search for inside
information about the 48SX, I seem to recall references to this book for things
like the various self tests.

Does the book contain much in the way of internals, or is it pretty much just
another rehash of the user manuals.

The same questions apply to Dr. Wickes recent "HP48SX Insights".  Anyone have
that book yet?

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (04/02/91)

ervin@pinbot.enet.dec.com (Joseph James Ervin) writes:

>Hello all,

>I am curious as to who has a copy of Jim Donnely's HP48sx handbook.  My main
>question is whether you found it useful.  In my continuing search for inside
>information about the 48SX, I seem to recall references to this book for things
>like the various self tests.

>Does the book contain much in the way of internals, or is it pretty much just
>another rehash of the user manuals.

>The same questions apply to Dr. Wickes recent "HP48SX Insights".  Anyone have
>that book yet?

I do not yet have Dr. Wickes book, but it is probably pretty good.

I DO have Jim Donnely's book, and although it does not delve into the
"internals", it is still an excellent book.  It is more than a rehash of
the manuals: it gives lots of interesting tips and is an excellent
compendium of information.  In fact, I carry it in my briefcase along
with my HP-48SX most everywhere I go.  Too bad that the real manuals are
not the same size and packed with as much info...

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

waterman@engg.ucalgary.ca (jason waterman) (04/02/91)

Hi there,

In a previous posting joe writes:

>Hello all,
>
>I am curious as to who has a copy of Jim Donnely's HP48sx handbook.  My main
>question is whether you found it useful.  In my continuing search for inside
>information about the 48SX, I seem to recall references to this book for things
>like the various self tests.
>
>Does the book contain much in the way of internals, or is it pretty much just
>another rehash of the user manuals.
>
>The same questions apply to Dr. Wickes recent "HP48SX Insights".  Anyone have
>that book yet?

	I've had Jim Donnely's HP48 Handbook for several months now and find
that I use it just about every day.

	The book does have information on all the system operations such as the
self tests and memory scanner.  The explains about how the calculator uses
temporary memory and how to write programs to use this most efficiently.  That
is about the extent of the internals information contained in the book.

	What I find most useful is the command reference which has information
and stack diagrams for every command listed in alphabetical order.  I assume
that the programmer's reference guide has a similar reference, but the HP48
Handbook's compact size (5"x7") makes it easy to carry.  There is also an index
of commands grouped by subject.

	Overall, I found that I've got my money's worth out of the book
and would recommend it if you don't already have the programmer's reference
guide and would like a manual that eliminates the need to keep the bulky
owner's manuals nearby.

Hope this helps.

Jason Waterman
The University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Email: waterman@engg.ucalgary.ca

jrcole@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Jim Cole) (04/03/91)

/ hpsciz:comp.sys.handhelds / ervin@pinbot.enet.dec.com (Joseph James Ervin) /  1:07 pm  Apr  1, 1991 /

>I am curious as to who has a copy of Jim Donnely's HP48sx handbook.  My main
>question is whether you found it useful.  In my continuing search for inside
>information about the 48SX, I seem to recall references to this book for things
>like the various self tests.
>
>Does the book contain much in the way of internals, or is it pretty much just
>another rehash of the user manuals.

I would describe most of the book as an "expanded rehash" of the HP literature.
Typically, there is a little more information than in the manual, or the
information on a given topic is organized in one spot, primarily to serve as a
handy reference.  Actually, much of the book is a Command Reference.  In
addition, some undocumented features are described, like the built-in
diagnostics, memory scanner, etc.  However, there is no information on the
nitty-gritty internals of the machine.

>The same questions apply to Dr. Wickes recent "HP48SX Insights".  Anyone have
>that book yet?

I'm working my way through it now, and while it is excellent so far, there is
no internals information other than the odd SYSEVAL.  Instead, it "focuses
on the principles of HP48 design and various programming methods and
resources" (from the Author's Note in the book itself).  For me, it has helped
define a "mental model" for the calculator, as well as being a fascinating
read of the philosophy behind RPN, RPL, etc.

Jim Cole

grahamf@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Fraser) (04/03/91)

My handbook travels in my briefcase with my HP48s ALL of the time!

It is a handy,  and very useful book that is easy to carry.  The Handbook
travels in the briefcase with my HP48s wherever they go.

The Handbook is a practical reference that I would not be without.

Definitely worth having!

Graham Fraser

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/06/91)

I have both books. I carry Donnely's bookw iwth me since they have a
lot of essential info but are much smaller than the HP owners manuals.
I also have Wick's book; it's well written and I'm looking forward to
getting part 2 when it becomes available.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com