[comp.sys.handhelds] Problems Loading MLDL

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU (TIM STRONG) (04/05/91)

Actually my machine also said BAD CARD DATA and erased the contents
of PORT 0.  Nothing was in it that was important.

I never thought of checking memory space but when I did WOW only 6057
bytes left!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And I only had about 7k of programs in the
machine before trying to download MLDL.  Yet the machine said that
the MLDL had been erased from the PORT so I should have had ~23K.

So as was said by someone on this list (sorry I lost the file and your
name) I backed up to a friends 48 hit the dreaded ON-A-F and RESTOREd
the backup.  Abracdabra!! 23K left.....

I'm confused???????????

Incedentally my setup  Version D ROM
                       No Cards
                       USER mode on.

The only other machine code in my machine is Bill Wickes ASC-> and ->ASC
and MODESBROWSER.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   TIM STRONG <TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.EDU>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    MICHIGAN TECH.    HOUGHTON, MICHIGAN

kskalb@faui14.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Kalb) (04/08/91)

TIM STRONG <TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

>Actually my machine also said BAD CARD DATA and erased the contents
>of PORT 0.  Nothing was in it that was important.

>I never thought of checking memory space but when I did WOW only 6057
>bytes left!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And I only had about 7k of programs in the
>machine before trying to download MLDL.  Yet the machine said that
>the MLDL had been erased from the PORT so I should have had ~23K.

I made the same experience after a crash caused by MLDL.
I think the BAD CARD DATA is due to the self modifieing code Jan wrote.
The machine just didn't have the time to correct the checksum.
I suppose it thinks the whole port is corrupted, so it doesn't touch it.
I assume the user is given a last chance to save things in main memory,
and then she should do an ON-A-F. Or she should remove the bad card,
if the port number wasn't 0. That't better then doing the reset
automatically in this situation. And what if the offending card is ROM ?

>So as was said by someone on this list (sorry I lost the file and your
>name) I backed up to a friends 48 hit the dreaded ON-A-F and RESTOREd
>the backup.  Abracdabra!! 23K left.....

That's what I did.

>I'm confused???????????
Not at all.

-KK

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (04/09/91)

On a related note (that is, related to having the 48 trash all of
Port 0 on occasion),

I was tinkering with a library stored in Port 0 (I believe I was attempting
to change a message in Bill Wickes' Jekyll/Hyde library), and did not
have the correct checksum for this object.  The 48 said, BAD CARD DATA,
and wiped the entire port....all menu labels were blank.  On a whim, I
tried PURGEing the offending library, and, voila, the rest of the Port 0
objects returned.

So if you suspect you know which object is causing the problem, try
PURGEing it even though it doesn't show up in the LIBRARY menu.

Stephen J Thomas     sjthomas@cup.portal.com