[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio vs Wizard OZ-8000

brian@NCoast.ORG (Brian Keith Gaiser) (04/02/91)

       Hello , I am new to this news group so forgive me if this has been hashed       over already  :).....

       I have a Sharp Wizard OZ-7000. (In fact I am an authorized Sharp Dealer).
       Sharp has recently released their new OZ-8000 Wizard.

       It has these features:

       Up to 128K, QWERTY Keyboard, Built-in Scheduler, Calendar, Memo, World          time zones, Outline maker, TERMINAL program, unit to unit xfer, PC xfer
       and many option cards.  The cards include: Spreadsheets, Speller/Thes.,
       City guides, Time/expense managers, language translators, games, BASIC
       and other RAM packs.

       Very soon to come, they have the Holy Bible and more games as well as
       other programming languages.

       What I would like to know is how does this product stack up against
       the ATARI Portfolio ?   What RAM option cards does the Portfolio have?
       How good is it as a terminal ?  Does it have good general organizer
       features ?   How is it's calendar and spread sheet ?  Is there good
       stocks of info cards available such as CITY GUIDES and the BIBLE or
       other reference material ?   Is it easy to use ?  Does it fit in one's
       inner suit coat pocket ?   How long do the batteries last?   What
       kind of PC upload/download capabilities does it have, what file formats
       will it support ?   Is there good OEM commitment to put popular
       software and games on it ?   What peripherals can you get and at what
       retail cost ?  How easy is the word processor, and can it be used with
       Word Perfect or Professional Write on a PC host ?

       Lastly I would like some ATARI phone numbers to get info on this unit,
       and perhaps get the ability to distribute it.

       My company caters to small business clients and many of the CEOs and
       board members look to me for this kind of product.

       Just FYI     : Wizard OZ-7000     Retail=$299,  My Price to you=$220
                      Wizard OZ-8000     Retail=$399,  My Price to you=$318

                       Most option cards Retail $120-$200  Mine $98-$180

      Any info will be much appreciated.

--
 ---------  THE GIZZ  ----------
|                               |

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.034036.11439@NCoast.ORG> brian@NCoast.ORG (Brian Keith Gaiser) writes:

>       Hello , I am new to this news group so forgive me if this has been hashed       over already  :).....

I will put Portfolio comments in-line with your description of the Wizard

>       I have a Sharp Wizard OZ-7000. (In fact I am an authorized Sharp Dealer).
>       Sharp has recently released their new OZ-8000 Wizard.
>
>       It has these features:
>
>       Up to 128K, QWERTY Keyboard, Built-in Scheduler, Calendar, Memo, World          time zones, Outline maker, TERMINAL program, unit to unit xfer, PC xfer
>       and many option cards.  The cards include: Spreadsheets, Speller/Thes.,
>       City guides, Time/expense managers, language translators, games, BASIC
>       and other RAM packs.
The Portfolio comes with 128K RAM, expandable to 640K of system memory
(with a third party add-on) a 20 Mb hard drive.  RAM cards (which are
storage, not system RAM) are 32K, 64K, or 128K SRAM cards.  It comes with
an appointment book, address book, simple word processor, and Lotus 123
compatible spreadsheet.  There are a half dozen or so ROM cards out for the
PF, including a tutorial (bundled), DOS utilities, checkbook balancer,
scientific calculator, etc.  Aside from that, you can run DOS programs on
the PF (if they are small) so you can run things like Turbo Pascal (1.0), a
tiny BASIC interpreter (so you can write your own programs) and so on.

>       Very soon to come, they have the Holy Bible and more games as well as
>       other programming languages.
>

>       What I would like to know is how does this product stack up against
>       the ATARI Portfolio ?   What RAM option cards does the Portfolio have?
>       How good is it as a terminal ?  Does it have good general organizer
>       features ?   How is it's calendar and spread sheet ?  Is there good
>       stocks of info cards available such as CITY GUIDES and the BIBLE or
>       other reference material ?   Is it easy to use ?  Does it fit in one's
>       inner suit coat pocket ?   How long do the batteries last?   What
>       kind of PC upload/download capabilities does it have, what file formats
>       will it support ?   Is there good OEM commitment to put popular
>       software and games on it ?   What peripherals can you get and at what
>       retail cost ?  How easy is the word processor, and can it be used with
>       Word Perfect or Professional Write on a PC host ?

It's a bit smaller than the largest Wizard I have seen, but not
significantly so.  The batteries last for months.  Since it's DOS
compatible it's trivial to "port" games and so on to it (i.e. copy them
from your PC to a RAM card, stick the RAM card into the PF, run it).

In terms of communication with PC's there are three ways to go.  You can
get a serial port.  You can get a parallel port (which can transfer files
with PC's).  Or you can get a RAM card drive for you PC (I think it's about
$100) so you can stick RAM cards into your PC as well as your PF, which
makes transferring information trivial.

The PF's main advantage is also it's main disadvantage.  It's a tiny
DOS-compatible PC, which gives you immense flexibility and expandability.
But it also means that you could end up learning DOS.  Of course, there's a
friendly front end so you need never _see_ the C: prompt, but if you use
the PF much you're likely to end up using DOS in addition to the built in
applications.

>       Lastly I would like some ATARI phone numbers to get info on this unit,
>       and perhaps get the ability to distribute it.

Atari has an 800 number that they list in all their PF ads.  I am sure that
they'd be delighted in have you carry the PF.

>       My company caters to small business clients and many of the CEOs and
>       board members look to me for this kind of product.
>

>       Just FYI     : Wizard OZ-7000     Retail=$299,  My Price to you=$220
>                      Wizard OZ-8000     Retail=$399,  My Price to you=$318
>
>                       Most option cards Retail $120-$200  Mine $98-$180

The Portfolio retails for $299 for the PF and the tutorial card, or $499
for the PF, a 32K RAM card, and the PC card drive.

>      Any info will be much appreciated.
>

>--
> ---------  THE GIZZ  ----------
>|                               |
>| Brian Gaiser   216/292-0400   |
>|                   x3471       |

I don't work for Atari.  I don't own a PF, actually -- I have just been
researching them with an eye towards buying one.

- Laird (internet: laird@think.com)

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.174452.1695@Think.COM> laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) writes:
|[etc]
|In terms of communication with PC's there are three ways to go.  You can
|get a serial port.  You can get a parallel port (which can transfer files
|with PC's).  Or you can get a RAM card drive for you PC (I think it's about
|$100) so you can stick RAM cards into your PC as well as your PF, which
|makes transferring information trivial.
|[etc]

Anyone know if this ram-card drive could be used to write to /read from
hp48 ram cards?  (For $100, it'd be nice.)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.034036.11439@NCoast.ORG> brian@NCoast.ORG (Brian Keith Gaiser) writes:
>       What I would like to know is how does this product stack up against
>       the ATARI Portfolio ?   What RAM option cards does the Portfolio have?
>       How good is it as a terminal ?  Does it have good general organizer
>       features ?   How is it's calendar and spread sheet ?  Is there good
>       stocks of info cards available such as CITY GUIDES and the BIBLE or
>       other reference material ?   Is it easy to use ?  Does it fit in one's
>       inner suit coat pocket ?   How long do the batteries last?   What
>       kind of PC upload/download capabilities does it have, what file formats
>       will it support ?   Is there good OEM commitment to put popular
>       software and games on it ?   What peripherals can you get and at what
>       retail cost ?  How easy is the word processor, and can it be used with
>       Word Perfect or Professional Write on a PC host ?

I looked at the Sharp Wizard and the Casio Boss (top models) and compared
them to the Pf.  I like the Pf better.  It is truely a IBM compatable in
the sence that you can use normal PC compilers to write programs for it.
No need to purchase programs from Atari, there are hundreds available from
the Atari BBS and even more from Compuserve (GO ATARI), and there is an FTP
site as well!  The are Option cards available for the Pf but I don't know
how many or prices, since I've downloaded such teriffic software.  Plus I can
actually write my own in Basic, pascal, C, etc.  As far as a terminal, its as
good as any computer with a 40x8 screen.  Organizer and calender are a toss-up
definately better on other units for some tasks.  Alarm on Pf is too quite, but
it will dial the phone for you if you hold it up to the speaker.  I have heard
that city/wine/etc cards are or will become available but I have not looked
at them.  Very easy to use.  You'll need a suit coat pocket, just a tad too
big.  Batteries last 4-6 weeks, standard AA's.  Up/download quite easy with
optional parallel port.  Good PD games.  WP makes standard ascii files, and
is good enough for the amount of time you might use it.
downloaded such teriffic software
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

dan@i10s4.ira.uka.de (Dan mosedale) (04/08/91)

Where is the FTP site?

-Dan
dmose@bright.math.uoregon.edu

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (04/09/91)

Places to get Atari Portfolio software:

Atari BBS   408-745-5308  (Login once, access allowed after 24hrs)

Atari FTP   terminator.cc.umich.edu  (anonymous/user@host)

Atari on Compuserve   GO ATARI