[comp.sys.handhelds] Problems with Smith-Corona 32K Ram Cards

esutherland@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Eric Sutherland) (03/27/91)

	I went down to the local Sear's outlet and asked the sales-person
if I could try the Smith-Corona 32K card (S75531) in my HP48sx REV E.
He said sure, and after fitting the battery in the card (the correct way) I
put the card in my 48 (it was off) and turned it on. The screen went completely
black and then did an interesting fade effect (It looked a lot like the display
was disintigrating from the outside in). The friendly sales-person allowed me
to try the other card they had in stock and it produced the exact same effect.

	Has Anyone else tried these cards and had them fail?(I saw one person
in Ottawa mention that he has two). Did I do something wrong? I really would
rather pay $35 CDN for a 32K card than $100 CDN for an HP ram card. Please
email any information you might have.
					Thanks
--
esutherland@trillium.waterloo.edu

What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind.  Or not to have a mind
at all.  How true that is.

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.163602.4668@watdragon.waterloo.edu> esutherland@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Eric Sutherland) writes:
>	I went down to the local Sear's outlet and asked the sales-person
>if I could try the Smith-Corona 32K card (S75531) in my HP48sx REV E.
>He said sure, and after fitting the battery in the card (the correct way) I
>put the card in my 48 (it was off) and turned it on. The screen went completely
>black and then did an interesting fade effect (It looked a lot like the display
>was disintigrating from the outside in). The friendly sales-person allowed me
>to try the other card they had in stock and it produced the exact same effect.
>
>	Has Anyone else tried these cards and had them fail?(I saw one person
>in Ottawa mention that he has two). Did I do something wrong? I really would
>rather pay $35 CDN for a 32K card than $100 CDN for an HP ram card. Please
>email any information you might have.
>					Thanks
>--
>esutherland@trillium.waterloo.edu
>
>What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind.  Or not to have a mind
>at all.  How true that is.

Hey! A fellow mathie??

Hmmm.  Mine's a REV D.  Try replacing the batteries in your calc, or try new
batteries in the card.  I wonder how long the card has been on the shelf at Sears?
Or try doing the battery test on your calculator.

I'll be back in waterloo in a month + 1/2, and I could let you try my ram cards in
your calc and see what effect that produces.  I am curious as to what the effect
is a result of.

-Dave.

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar26.163602.4668@watdragon.waterloo.edu> esutherland@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Eric Sutherland) writes:

>	I went down to the local Sear's outlet and asked the sales-person
>if I could try the Smith-Corona 32K card (S75531) in my HP48sx REV E.
>He said sure, and after fitting the battery in the card (the correct way) I
>put the card in my 48 (it was off) and turned it on. The screen went completely
>black and then did an interesting fade effect (It looked a lot like the display
>was disintigrating from the outside in). The friendly sales-person allowed me
>to try the other card they had in stock and it produced the exact same effect.
>
>	Has Anyone else tried these cards and had them fail?(I saw one person
>in Ottawa mention that he has two). Did I do something wrong? I really would
>rather pay $35 CDN for a 32K card than $100 CDN for an HP ram card. Please
>email any information you might have.

I went to Walmart and picked up three of them and they all SEEM to work...
I've had to "black outs".. However, I DID have a:

Warning:
Invalid Card Data

message with a beep when I powered it on... However, after I did a
1 MERGE it seems to have merged with the system memory ok.. However,
I am not sure so can somehow tell me how to do a memory test for the
external 32K RAM card?

I recall that "Runaway Daemon" was the first one that mentioned something
about this error... Can you help me out? Someone else mentioned something
about the SC card being pre-formatted or something like that...
Thanks
George

--
  George Wang - Networking Development                     T     T
  National Center for Supercomputing Applications          |  T  |

akcs.xymox@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kelvin Chang) (04/10/91)

Where is the reset button on the HP?

JUST CURIOUS
KELVIN.