[net.micro] Micro RSTS

Elmo%mit-oz@sri-unix.UUCP (06/10/83)

From:  Eliot R. Moore <Elmo@mit-oz>

    Date: Thursday, 9 June 1983  06:08-EDT
    From: John Romine <jromine.uci at rand-relay>
    To:   info-micro.UCI at rand-relay
    Re:   Micro RSTS

    can anyone tell me the difference between full blown RSTS/E, and the Micro
    RSTS for the Micro Pdp-11?  i know that it takes up a lot less disk (5.5 Mb
    less), but i don't know why.  what's not there in Micro RSTS that is there
    under RSTS/E?

    as they say, "thanks in advance",

    /John Romine	(jromine.uci@rand-relay  from ARPA)
I've spoken with many dec reps, both technical and sales types, and seen
various pages of Micro-Rsts doc, so I give you my best understanding...

"Micro-RSTS comes with RSTS/E V8.0".  This means that while buying a
Micro/PDP-11 will get you a general OS license, you are expected to
get the actual media through other means, like having a bigger RSTS
system.  The idea here is to allow OEM's to market the Micro/PDP-11 -
and give them REAL control. The end user can't buy Micro-RSTS on RX50's.
(Although one can take his RSTS/E tapes to a Dec office and change
media for a slight fee.)

Previously I was told Micro-RSTS comes pre-genned.  I am now told that
the OEM has to make a sil on HIS machine and transfer it to the Micro-PDP/11.
At present the only compatible media is RL02, with RC25's coming soon.
(RX02's are available too, but make life difficult as they're NFS.)

Micro-RSTS is a genuine RSTS V8.0, minus a few cusps Dec decided
weren't so common.  There is a execute-only version of Basic+, and
yyy]}2o}ur swapfiles are most likely very small compared to those on a
full 63 job system.  There is nothing stopping you from implementing
full RSTS with Basic+, BP2, etc.  I am told the spooling package
IS now only one job... I'll wait to see that.

DEC will not be shipping Micro/PDP-11's in quantity till next March,
and who knows what the backlog will by then.

Differing views and rumors welcome.

Regards,
Elmo

Micro-RSTS,RSTS/E,Basic+,DEC,RL02, and RX02 are trademarks of Digital
Equipment Corp.