[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-42S upgrade??

macdonaldk@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (04/02/91)

I am looking to purchase an HP-42S calculator soon.  Does anyone know
if HP has plans to release an upgraded 42S in the near future (re:
release of HP-32SII makes HP-32S obsolete).  If they do, I would make
my purchase after the upgraded calculator is released.

OR:  Does anyone out there have an HP calculator for sale in the
     $70-$90 U.S. price range.

Please e-mail replies.  Thankyou for your help.

Kevin Macdonald
Technical University of Nova Scotia
Halifax, Nova Scotia

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) (04/04/91)

>I am looking to purchase an HP-42S calculator soon.  Does anyone know
>if HP has plans to release an upgraded 42S in the near future (re:
>release of HP-32SII makes HP-32S obsolete).  If they do, I would make
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>my purchase after the upgraded calculator is released.

It is for this precise reason that computer and/or calculator companies
don't announce products before they are ready for sale.  If we announced
products a few months before they came out, everyone would stop buying
current products and wait for the new product.  The lost revenue would
then tranlate into fewer R&D dollars to spend on new products, and the
cycle would continue.  I agree it is frustrating to buy a product, and
then have a new version come out right after you bought it, but if the
old product was good enough for you to buy then, it should still be good
enough for you to use now.

>Kevin Macdonald
>Technical University of Nova Scotia
>Halifax, Nova Scotia

Disclaimer:  This is my own opinion.  It is not an opinion of HP, nor does
it represent an official position of HP.  I just felt like getting a soap
box today, and you are all lucky enough to have heard me speak.
| Ken Sumrall                          |     Internet: ken%hpda@hplabs.hp.com |
| HP California Language Labs          |           UUCP:  ...!hplabs!hpda!ken |
|    "I'd stomp desert dope heads for some gas in my moped!" - Bill the Cat   |
|              "What a stupid world" -Calvin (speaking to Hobbes)             |

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (04/09/91)

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) writes:

>>I am looking to purchase an HP-42S calculator soon.  Does anyone know
>>if HP has plans to release an upgraded 42S in the near future (re:
>>release of HP-32SII makes HP-32S obsolete).  If they do, I would make
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>my purchase after the upgraded calculator is released.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>It is for this precise reason that computer and/or calculator companies
>don't announce products before they are ready for sale.

I can't resist ;-)  SOME companies may not announce products before
they are ready for sale, but many do.  One need look no further than
Microsoft to see this (say, when *WILL* "Pen Windows" be ready for
sale?).  The PC software industry (as well as other sections) is just
full of this announce-before-it-is-ready stuff.  Go Corp's Pen O/S,
Apple's System 7, WordPerfect for Windows, umpteen versions of OS/2;
the list goes on and on.

						.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr8.173125.4758@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
>ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) writes:
>
>>>I am looking to purchase an HP-42S calculator soon.  Does anyone know
>>>if HP has plans to release an upgraded 42S in the near future (re:
>>>release of HP-32SII makes HP-32S obsolete).  If they do, I would make
>>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>my purchase after the upgraded calculator is released.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>It is for this precise reason that computer and/or calculator companies
>>don't announce products before they are ready for sale.
>
>I can't resist ;-)  SOME companies may not announce products before
>they are ready for sale, but many do.  One need look no further than
>Microsoft to see this (say, when *WILL* "Pen Windows" be ready for
>sale?).  The PC software industry (as well as other sections) is just
>full of this announce-before-it-is-ready stuff.  Go Corp's Pen O/S,
>Apple's System 7, WordPerfect for Windows, umpteen versions of OS/2;
>the list goes on and on.

It's a different situation... it's extremely easy to upgrade to the new
version of a program, and it's extremely difficult to upgrade to a new
HP.   Microsoft advances way before they have anything close to a product
as a form of pre-emptive strike.  (The joke is that if someone announced a
new thought-controlled system that Microsoft would announce that they had been
working on that for five years, that it would be part of the next release of
Windows / DOS, and that they'd have it within the year.  Then they'd hire
programmers and maybe release it in under five years.)

Who is HP competing against, on the other hand?  Itself.  Those who want the
new version are usually those who own or will buy the current version.