[comp.sys.handhelds] Interfacing the HP48 to an Apple

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (04/05/91)

Has anybody successfully interfaced an HP 48 calculator with an Apple II (GS if
it makes a difference)?  If so, I would appreciate hearing from you about what
hardware and software are needed to to do this.

Please reply by E-mail; if there's any interest, I'll post a summary.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr4.214226.855@src.honeywell.com> shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) writes:

>Has anybody successfully interfaced an HP 48 calculator with an Apple II (GS if
>it makes a difference)?  If so, I would appreciate hearing from you about what
>hardware and software are needed to to do this.

Yes, I just purchased an hp48sx, and I have a GS.  I picked up the cable that
lets you connect the hp to the computer.  It cost me $35 but I got it at the
book store here at Purdue which is quite a bit over priced.  But I needed the
cable in a hurry.  Anyway, just ask for the cable that connects the hp
to the Mac.  I hate having to pretend like I hav a mac when I deal with
things like this.  Oh well... The cable connects the hp to the modem port,
and you can use kermit protocol to transfer stuff.  I used proterm at first,
but things didn't work to well.  When I would send stuff to the GS, it
could never make it back the hp.  Anyhow, I use Kermit itself to talk to
the hp and it works great.  I think you can get it off of tybalt.
	Also, there is another plus the the hp and the cable.  If you own
an Imagewriter ][ , then you can connect the hp directly to it with the same
cable and print with it!  You won't be able to print graphics, but anything
else will print.

	Off of the subject... So little people know about the GS that when
they see my computer, they think it is some kind of MAC.

Platkus
platkus@ecn.purdue.edu