[comp.sys.handhelds] what to do with MATH.ARC

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (04/09/91)

Hi! I've been trying to make use of the math archive found on hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com,
downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
file is in.

I've tried uncompress, tar, and ar, and none of them work.  Can someone please
post a solution to my problem.  The readme files in anonymous-ftp seem to be
somewhat outdated, and aren't any help either.

-Dave.

PS.  I really need these routines badly. Thanks.

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (04/10/91)

Sorry to waste bandwidth, but no one has posted a solution to my problem,
so here I go again:

I've been trying to make use of the math archive found on hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com,
downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
file is in.

I've tried uncompress, tar, and ar, and none of them work.  The readme
files in anonymous-ftp seem to be somewhat outdated, and aren't any help either.

-Dave.

PS.  I really need these routines badly. Thanks.

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (04/10/91)

Sorry to blow the bandwidth, but:

In article <1991Apr9.184209.6918@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:

>I've been trying to make use of the math archive found on hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com,
>downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
>file is in.

Dave, I can repackage the file in just about any form you wish.
Unfortunately, your address is bogus according to every map I've
consulted, so please mail me a good path and the form that you want the
archive in.

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.190143.26598@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:
>downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
>file is in.

On UN*X systems there is the file command, which will try to figure out
what sort of file it is...

Nicolai

dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.203043.3684@menudo.uh.edu> honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes:
>Sorry to blow the bandwidth, but:
>
>In article <1991Apr9.184209.6918@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:
>>
>>I've been trying to make use of the math archive found on hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com,
>>downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
>>file is in.
>
>Dave, I can repackage the file in just about any form you wish.
>Unfortunately, your address is bogus according to every map I've
>consulted, so please mail me a good path and the form that you want the
>archive in.
>
>>-Dave.

Sorry, I know I've got a bad address.  You can put the file in uuencode, tar, or ar
format.

I've got a friend's address that you can mail it to...
	jca@bnr.ca
... or could you ??repost?? it hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com in that form?  I hate wasting
bandwidth.

Thanks alot.  I really appreciate this.

-Dave.

veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) (04/11/91)

In <1991Apr10.110400.24106@ifi.uio.no> janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.190143.26598@bigsur.uucp> dave@bgtys6.uucp (Dave Hubert) writes:
>>downloaded using anonymous ftp.  The problem is, I don't know what format the
>>file is in.
>On UN*X systems there is the file command, which will try to figure out
>what sort of file it is...

>Nicolai

This unfortunately returns the trivial response 'data', which is the default
when 'find' does not know what it is.

But I am surprised that no one of the HP+IBMPC user gave the correct answer.
ARC is the standard extension of the ARC compression utility, which exists on
various systems (PC, UNIX, ATARI, etc.) and is public domain. The math.arc
archive I retrieved from hpcvbbs is not corrupt, I have a version
that at least passes the CRC check. The files in it are IMK HP48 RPL and
binaries.

Holger

--
|__|  /  University of Duisburg  | BITNET: veit%du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de@UNIDO
|  | /   Fac. of Electr. Eng.    | UUCP:   ...!uunet!unido!unidui!hl351ge
|  |/    Dept. f. Dataprocessing |