[comp.sys.handhelds] Zero-slot HP48

@vms3.macc.wisc.edu:KAUFMAN@ETHL.DecNet (KAUFMAN) (04/11/91)

>I have the official spec sheet on the 48S.  The only differences from
>the 48SX are:

>  1) Zero slots.
>  2) Thinner case.
>  3) Lower price.

 [stuff deleted]

>I think the proper way to view the 48S is as an upgraded 28S that has
>RS-232 and bidirectional IR -- and which just happens to have the
>identical keys, screen, and commands as the HP48SX.

Yeah, but what about all of the niceties for the 48 that have been put onto
cards (Equation Library, Chem Library..etc.)? I feel it is all this software
that makes the 48 really useful, and am not convinced that this calculator
should be worth much more (if any) than a 28S if these things are not
available. Just my $.02

							TheSeeker
							   DAK
Internet:  dkaufman@vms.macc.wisc.edu		|            This space
Bitnet:    dkaufman@wiscmacc	                |           intentionally
SnailMail: 1820 Summit Avenue Madison, WI 53705 |            left blank.

rwr@hpcvmcdj.cv.hp.com (Rick Riper) (04/11/91)

 >   >I have the official spec sheet on the 48S.  The only differences from
 >   >the 48SX are:

 >   >  1) Zero slots.
 >   >  2) Thinner case.
 >   >  3) Lower price.

Just a quick correction on item #2 above - the 48S has the same dimensions
as the 48SX, so the cases are the same thickness

Rick Riper           PROGRAM   n.  A magic spell cast over a computer
HP Corvallis                   allowing it to turn one's input into
			       error messages.
rwr@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com
			      -- stolen from a Borland direct-mail ad --

ruhtra@turing.toronto.edu (Arthur Tateishi) (04/12/91)

In article <920003@hpcvmcdj.cv.hp.com> rwr@hpcvmcdj.cv.hp.com (Rick Riper) writes:

> >   >I have the official spec sheet on the 48S.  The only differences from
> >   >the 48SX are:
>
> >   >  1) Zero slots.
> >   >  2) Thinner case.
> >   >  3) Lower price.
>

>Just a quick correction on item #2 above - the 48S has the same dimensions
>as the 48SX, so the cases are the same thickness

I would have considered buying a 48S over a 48SX if the 48S has a LOT more
memory than the standard 32K of the 48SX. Say, 128K+.

--
Red Alert.
    -- Q, "Deja Q", stardate 43539.1

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (04/12/91)

<@vms3.macc.wisc.edu:KAUFMAN@ETHL.DecNet> writes:
>Yeah, but what about all of the niceties for the 48 that have been put onto
>cards (Equation Library, Chem Library..etc.)? I feel it is all this software
>that makes the 48 really useful, and am not convinced that this calculator
>should be worth much more (if any) than a 28S if these things are not
>available. Just my $.02
The HP28 seems most like a replacement for the HP15 even though it is
much more powerful.   The lack of ports and the lack of I from I/O are
the two biggest disappoinments for someone wanting an HP41 replacement.
The HP48SX made many large improvements over the HP28s.  I think that
two way non manual i/o (by 2 different means yet) ranks right up there
with port expansion.  I would think that the 48S represents a way for
someone who can not afford or does not need expansion ports to save
some money.   The expansion ports are very useful.  I wish there were
four of them.  Life certainly isn't miserable with just 2.  You have
the option of a 48 with expansion ports.  Why shouldn't someone who doesn't
want them have an option to save some money?
   Perhaps an argument could be made that the ROM space spent on the Equation
Writer was wasted, but there is a lot of added functionality and power in
the 48 over the 28.   Jake Schwatz's list went on with many dozens of
items.  Port expansion was only a tiny, if important part.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com