[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-48's'?

ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) (04/09/91)

what's the difference between hp-48s and hp-48sx?  I have seen
some advertisment but couldn't get any info on it.
-Albert

louxj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (John W. Loux) (04/11/91)

In article <18095@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) writes:
>what's the difference between hp-48s and hp-48sx?  I have seen
>some advertisment but couldn't get any info on it.
>-Albert

There are two significant differences between the HP 48SX and the new
HP 48S (introduced April 2).  First, the 48S has no ports for RAM/ROM
card expansion.  It still has IR and RS232 interfaces, so communication
is still possible.  Second, the lack of ports has allowed the product
to have a significantly lower price than the SX.  The SX lists at $350
while the S lists at $250 (and are available from Solve and Integrate
for $276.50 and $197.50, respectively).

The purpose of the S is to make the functionality of the 48 family
available to more people, and especially to compete more effectively in
the educational ``graphic-calc'' market.

John W. Loux
john@solvint.uucp
louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) (04/12/91)

>>					       The SX lists at $350
>>while the S lists at $250 (and are available from Solve and Integrate
>>for $276.50 and $197.50, respectively).

I don't understand the above parenthetical statement.  Could you clarify
it, please.  Thanks