[comp.sys.handhelds] The Actual New H.P./Lotus Palmtop

latenser@hoss.unl.edu (Dan Latenser) (04/09/91)

Straight from the pages of PC Week :
"
Hewlett-Packard Co. and Lotus Development Corp. on April 23 will announce
and begin shipping an NEC V20-based, $699 palmtop PC called the HP 95LX.
The new machine, which weighs 10 ounces and is about the size of a
calculator, features 512K bytes of RAM and comes with Lotus 1-2-3 and
desktop-management software loaded in ROM, said sources close to Lotus, of
Cambridge, Mass.

The DOS, XT-compatible machine will run standard software unmodified in
the PC's 16 by 40 character display. Users will have to scroll to see the
full display, the sources said. Software can be loaded into the
battery-operated machine using industry-standard 1M-byte RAM cards, they
said.
"

What?!
	No mention of HP-Solve?!
		Aghhhhh!

Anyone want to sell their 48sx? 	;-)

latenser@hoss.unl.edu

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr08.185518.29992@hoss.unl.edu> latenser@hoss.unl.edu (Dan Latenser) writes:

>Straight from the pages of PC Week :
>"
>Hewlett-Packard Co. and Lotus Development Corp. on April 23 will announce
>and begin shipping an NEC V20-based, $699 palmtop PC called the HP 95LX.
>The new machine, which weighs 10 ounces and is about the size of a
>calculator, features 512K bytes of RAM and comes with Lotus 1-2-3 and
>desktop-management software loaded in ROM, said sources close to Lotus, of
>Cambridge, Mass.

Is there some information on the unit's physical dimensions?  Also, is
there any other software included or availaable on ROM cards?

>The DOS, XT-compatible machine will run standard software unmodified in
>the PC's 16 by 40 character display. Users will have to scroll to see the
>full display, the sources said. Software can be loaded into the
>battery-operated machine using industry-standard 1M-byte RAM cards, they
>said.

Can the displthe display also operate as a non-scrolling (smaller) display?
 Also, does anyone know whether the "industry-standard ... RAM cards" are
PCMCIA/JEIDA (say _that_ five times fast!) cards, or have HP and Lotus
decided to define a new "industry standard"?

>What?!
>	No mention of HP-Solve?!
>		Aghhhhh!
>
>Anyone want to sell their 48sx? 	;-)
>
>latenser@hoss.unl.edu

Given that HP products are generally available heavily discounted, it may
make more sense to wait and buy this new HP unit rather than buy a
Portfolio.  The  does everything that I need  but if I cen get a larger
display and 4x as much RAM for a minor jump in price, well, that's pretty
attractive.

- Laird (internet: laird@think.com)

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU (Tim Strong) (04/10/91)

>"
>Hewlett-Packard Co. and Lotus Development Corp. on April 23 will announce
>and begin shipping an NEC V20-based, $699 palmtop PC called the HP 95LX.
>The new machine, which weighs 10 ounces and is about the size of a
>calculator, features 512K bytes of RAM and comes with Lotus 1-2-3 and
>desktop-management software loaded in ROM, said sources close to Lotus, of
>Cambridge, Mass.
>
>The DOS, XT-compatible machine will run standard software unmodified in
>the PC's 16 by 40 character display. Users will have to scroll to see the
>full display, the sources said. Software can be loaded into the
>battery-operated machine using industry-standard 1M-byte RAM cards, they
>said.
>"
>What?!
>	No mention of HP-Solve?!
>		Aghhhhh!
>
>Anyone want to sell their 48sx? 	;-)

I was under the impression that this was intended to be a portable
MSDOS palmtop.  I didn't think it was going to implement any 48 functions
I'd check into that before I dumped money on it thinking I was getting
a 48 with a big screen, more RAM and MSDOS compatibilty.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   TIM STRONG <TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.EDU>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    MICHIGAN TECH.    HOUGHTON, MICHIGAN

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/10/91)

I would like to have a bigger display and more speed for the 48sx; I'm
not interested in having Lotus in rom. Any chance that the 95 will be
available with 48sx functionality?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

akcs.scotty@hpcvbbs.UUCP (SCOTTY THOMPSON) (04/14/91)

Personally, I'm sick green with DOS.  I'd love to have a "bigger" HP48
with a 40-chr x 15-lin display (16th for menu) with 8 1M card slots,
8-bit parallel, 2 RS-232C (to 38.4K BPS) and a 16MHz clock.  Yum...

I'll stick with my HP48SX, thanks...