[comp.sys.handhelds] hp48 <-> workstations

cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) (04/17/91)

> Cloos at SUNY, Buffalo writes:

> (It is more cumbersome for me to find a PC w/ an open serial port,
> kermit the file to the PC, find a PC w/ ftp, and ftp the file to the
> suns.  [SIGH] If only I could hook the 48 up to the workstations....)

I am not a unix expert, but perhaps the following may be useful to those
trying to hook an hp48 to a workstations:

I have been downloading to and from my hp-ux workstation regularly via
the standard /etc/filesets/SYSCOM kermit resource /usr/bin/kermit.

I sent this message out to other hp-ites:

    It is fairly easy to set up a Series 9000 Series 300 unix
    workstation to communicate with the hp48 calculator via kermit.  The
    cable provided in the IBM PC serial interface kit plugs directly
    into the rs-232 port in the back of the 300 series cpu card (on my
    375, anyway).  Then, as superuser, set up this port as a terminal
    with a mknod command as follows:

      mknod /dev/tty02 c 1 0x090004 (see p 8-7 in Managing Devices
            __________ _ _ ________   in System Administration Tasks
                  |    | |    |       HP-UX Manual p/n 98594-90061)
    Device name---+    | |    |
    Character device---+ |    |
    Major address--------+    |
    Minor address-------------+

    Then:    chmod +x /dev/tty02

    Create a hp48 directory somewhere on your unix disc for storing all
    hp48 related files.  Next, put the following .kermrc file in your
    $HOME directory:

	set line /dev/tty02
	set speed 9600
	set file warning on
	echo
	echo Connecting to hp48 calculator...
	echo
	echo Setting /users/cook/hp48 as current directory
	echo

	cwd /users/cook/hp48 (Change "/users/cook/hp48" to your own hp48
	                      unix directory)

    It is a good idea to leaf through the unix man pages for "kermit" to
    see how it works.  Only a few commands like "send" and "receive" are
    required to download hp48 programs or archive the hp48 to a unix
    binary file.  Hitting "?"  at any time in kermit lists all the
    possible kermit commands available at that point.

    Execute  "kermit" to run kermit and set up the rs-232 port.

    If you want to archive calculator memory, make sure to set the 300
    series computer to receive in BINARY mode.  Otherwise, your archive
    will be corrupted.  The command to set this up on the kermit I have
    (C-Kermit, 4E(072) 24 Jan 89, HP 9000 Series HP-UX) is as follows:

    set file type binary

    Steve Cook
    cook@hpmtlx.lvld.hp.com
    1-679-2732