[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio RAM cards and RAM card readers

ellis@daffodil.tek.com (Cynthia Ellis ) (04/13/91)

A few days ago, someone posted that a RAM card drive for a PC
could be purchased for $100. True? If so, where???

Also, there's been a lot of messages about using Smith-Corona
RAM cards in the HP-48s. Has anyone tried these or any other
(cheaper) non-Atari RAM cards in his/her Pofo?

Cindy
ellis@crl.LABS.TEK.COM

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (04/15/91)

In article <1022@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> ellis@daffodil.tek.com (Cynthia Ellis ) writes:
>Also, there's been a lot of messages about using Smith-Corona
>RAM cards in the HP-48s. Has anyone tried these or any other
>(cheaper) non-Atari RAM cards in his/her Pofo?

I just picked up a Smith-Corona card at Lechmere's, but unfortunately it
(and probably the HP and Epson ones) won't work in the Pofo.  They don't
even have the same number of contacts on the edge connector.

/mike

--
\|/ Michael L. Ardai  N1IST    Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

graeme@grep.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) (04/16/91)

In article <1022@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> ellis@daffodil.tek.com (Cynthia Ellis ) writes:
>A few days ago, someone posted that a RAM card drive for a PC
>could be purchased for $100. True? If so, where???
>
>Also, there's been a lot of messages about using Smith-Corona
>RAM cards in the HP-48s. Has anyone tried these or any other
>(cheaper) non-Atari RAM cards in his/her Pofo?
>

>Cindy
>ellis@crl.LABS.TEK.COM

HP-48 and Atari Portfolio / DIP Pocket-PC cards are incompatible.  HP (Epson)
cards have 40 pins, Atari cards have 32 pins.  For those who want to second
source Atari cards they are made by Mitsubishi Plastic (NOT Mitsubishi
Electric).

Graeme Cawsey	(graeme@grep.co.uk)
Grep Limited, Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX
Tel: +44 532 500303

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.193711.4221@grep.co.uk> graeme@grep.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) writes:
>HP-48 and Atari Portfolio / DIP Pocket-PC cards are incompatible.  HP (Epson)
>cards have 40 pins, Atari cards have 32 pins.  For those who want to second
>source Atari cards they are made by Mitsubishi Plastic (NOT Mitsubishi
>Electric).

How do we purchase cards from MP?  Any phone, address, large dealers?

Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

patrick@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Patrick Hawke) (04/17/91)

I just purchased a 128K RamCard from J&R Music World for $139
(Almost a Buck-A-Byte)

PjH

Bye The Way, I love the little Portfolio.  I now know that I
would have loved it even a year ago......

jorhor@aceca.UUCP (Jordan Horwich) (04/17/91)

In article <1022@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> ellis@daffodil.tek.com (Cynthia Ellis ) writes:
>Also, there's been a lot of messages about using Smith-Corona
>RAM cards in the HP-48s. Has anyone tried these or any other
>(cheaper) non-Atari RAM cards in his/her Pofo?
>
>Cindy
>ellis@crl.LABS.TEK.COM

Any RAM cards that fit in an HP-48s will not work in the Atari Portfolio.
Physically, the portfolio card bus has more pins, and they are not as
close together as they are on the HP-48s.

Jordan
jorhor@uunet!aceca