[comp.sys.handhelds] Smith Corona Ram card saga...

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (04/06/91)

I had one of the now infamous cards, and it worked fine for about 3
months in my "D" machine.  My machine went in for repairs, and the
"E" version machine would not accept the card.  I tried to exchange it
for another card, but 4 out of 4 attempts to find a card that it would
accept proved fruitless! Is this due to slight tolerances in the
design of each individual calculator or is this something to do
with the version? Tho I assume all they changed was the ROMs.

Duane

| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |
| Box 1315                  |    let friends use    |  Fone#   (409) 847-6760 |
| College Station, Tx 77841 |        MS-DOS.        |  n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu |

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo GARIEPY) (04/10/91)

In article <14231@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
> I had one of the now infamous cards, and it worked fine for about 3
> months in my "D" machine.  My machine went in for repairs, and the
> "E" version machine would not accept the card.

Looks like HP has finally fixed that nagging bug that allowed inexpensive
third-party cards to be used in the HP 48.  (Do you suppose the card is what
broke the caclulator in the first place?)

Alonzo Gariepy
alonzo@microsoft

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (04/16/91)

The reason for which my machine went into the shop was that the screen was
fading out from the upper left corner, a sympton I have heard otheres report.

e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca (richard louie) (04/18/91)

In article <71794@microsoft.UUCP> alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo GARIEPY) writes:
>In article <14231@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>> I had one of the now infamous cards, and it worked fine for about 3
>> months in my "D" machine.  My machine went in for repairs, and the
>> "E" version machine would not accept the card.
>
>Looks like HP has finally fixed that nagging bug that allowed inexpensive
>third-party cards to be used in the HP 48.  (Do you suppose the card is what
>broke the caclulator in the first place?)
>
>Alonzo Gariepy
>alonzo@microsoft

     I have the same problem with my version E 48sx.  I would plug in the
SC card and then the display would go black and slowly "melt away" - really
neat but I don't recommend it!  After I remove the card, and try to turn on
the 48sx, it wouldn't turn on.  I could take out the batteries for 5 min. and
still nothing.  I have to leave the batteries out for the better part of
an hour before my 48sx would come back to life.
     BTW. For those people who can use these SC cards, Sears has them.

Richard
e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (04/18/91)

GIG EM AGGIES CLASS OF '71'

darrylo@hpnmdla.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (04/20/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca (richard louie) writes:

>      I have the same problem with my version E 48sx.  I would plug in the
> SC card and then the display would go black and slowly "melt away" - really
> neat but I don't recommend it!  After I remove the card, and try to turn on
> the 48sx, it wouldn't turn on.  I could take out the batteries for 5 min. and
> still nothing.  I have to leave the batteries out for the better part of
> an hour before my 48sx would come back to life.

     If your HP-48SX stops working/freaks out three months from now
(or some arbitrary time in the future), please don't complain about it
here.  It sounds like you were shorting out the calculator, which
*might* have caused some damage.

     Note that I have absolutely no connection with the HP calculator
folks.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.